Read more about how the University is governed and run.
Contact the Vice-Chancellor by getting in touch with Office Manager and Executive Assistant Delia Edwards. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 4690 or email: Delia.Edwards@southampton.ac.uk.
Details on the Vice-Chancellor's remuneration are available online.
Professor Nutbeam is a world-leading researcher who has helped to lead the University of Southampton to become an even more innovative institution
Vice-Chancellor: Professor Don Nutbeam, PhD, FFPH.
Professor Don Nutbeam is an internationally renowned expert on public health, who has contributed substantially to national and international policy over his thirty year research career. A University of Southampton alumnus, Professor Nutbeam returned to the University as Vice-Chancellor in 2009 to lead us through a period of unprecedented growth and innovation. He has been instrumental in helping to develop our Vision 2020 strategy, and in leading the first steps towards achieving those ambitious goals.
He has also remained actively involved in public health research during his time as Vice-Chancellor, continuing his work with colleagues internationally on health literacy, and the social, economic and environmental determinants of ageing.
- Head of Public Health (UK Department of Health) 2000-2003
- was the driving force behind a cross-government programme to tackle health inequality in the UK
- has been an advisor and consultant for the World Health Organisation (WHO) for over twenty years
- has been a consultant and team leader on projects for the World Bank
- is a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health
- is a highly cited author of over 100 articles in peer-reviewed journals, and two public health textbooks
Professor Nutbeam announced in July 2014 that he will be stepping down from his post at some point in the next two years, stating “I am fully focused on the future success of the University and I will continue to devote myself to pursuing the ambitions expressed in our refreshed Vision 2020 strategy during my remaining tenure.”
Read about the appointment of our new Vice Chancellor, Professor Sir Christopher Snowden, who will succeed Professor Don Nutbeam from October 2015.
Our Vision for the futureHow the University is run
Learn about how the University is run, and who helps to make the most important decisions about our strategy