The University of Southampton has a number of academics, coaches and engineers, who can provide an insight into a variety of topics from sports history and psychology to the latest in cutting edge research in sport.
Sport and humanities
- Dr Martin Polley, sports historian – can speak about Olympic History, Olympic sites in the south and torch relay history. Dr Polley wrote the book ‘The British Olympics: Britain’s Olympic heritage 1612-2012’.
- Professor Lucy Mazdon, reader in film studies – can speak about Olympic films, impact of sport in film.
- Dr Will Jennings, senior lecture in politics – can speak about Olympic security, organisation and safety. Dr Jennings wrote the book ‘Olympic Risks’.
Sport and health
- Professor Richard Holt, Professor in Diabetes and Endocrinology - can provide expert comment on the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport.
- Dr Nick Maguire, chartered clinical psychologist and lecturer in cognitive therapy – can speak about depression in sport and the psychological pressure of elite sport.
- Professor Cyrus Cooper, Director of the MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit – can speak about the impact of elite sport on the bones in the body and the increased risk of arthritis in athletes’ later life.
- Dr Tom Wilkinson, senior lecturer in respiratory medicine – can speak about virus, flu (will there be a fresher’s flu type situation in the Olympic village) and respiratory issues.
- Dr Steve Wootton, Senior Lecturer in Human Nutrition – can speak about diet and nutrition in sportspeople.
- Professor Stephen Turnock, Director of Performance Sports Engineering Laboratory - can talk about the University’s collaboration with UK Sport in cycling and swimming.
- Dr Dominic Hudson, Head of Ship Science - can talk about Project SwimSIM with British Swimming.
- Sandy Wright, from the University’s Wolfson Unit (a UK Sport Innovation Partner) – can speak about sports engineering, wind tunnel testing.
To access a University of Southampton academic, please contact the Media Relations Team for further information and assistance.