Social Sciences: Ageing/Gerontology


The University offers more than 5,000 places in over 20 halls of residence and is one of the largest providers of accommodation to students in the UK.

International postgraduate students

We offer all full-time, registered* international postgraduate students a place in halls during their first year of study and one subsequent year, providing the following criteria are met:

  • you normally live outside the Southampton city boundaries.
  • your residence application form is received by 1 August in the year in which your studies commence. For subsequent years, you must apply for accommodation during the second term for the coming academic year; the deadline for applications will be publicised nearer the time.
  • you are unaccompanied – you do not bring any dependants, such as a partner or children.

UK/EU postgraduate students

Although UK and EU students are not guaranteed a place in our halls, you can apply for a place and you will be considered if there is availability. If we are unable to offer you a place in halls we can provide advice and assistance so that you can find privately rented accommodation.

Private rented accommodation

If accommodation in our halls is not available, or you prefer to rent your own accommodation, we have a comprehensive and regularly updated database of private rented housing. We are partners in the Southampton Accreditation Scheme for Student Housing, working to raise standards in the private sector throughout Southampton, and the properties we list are all registered with the scheme.

Further information

Visit our Accommodation page to find out more.

For information on any aspect of accommodation in Southampton, contact the Residences Service:

Tel: +44(0)23 8059 5959
Visit the Residences Service website

*Full-time and studying for a complete academic year.