Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question? Need some help? Take a look through our enquiry page to get the answers to our most frequently asked questions.

Need a question answered?

Need a question answered?

If you can't find the answer you are looking for here then contact us directly.

How do I apply for an alumni card?

You can now apply for the Alumni ID Card through the online store. It's quick, easy and we'll post your card to you once it's been made. Click here for a step-by-step guide to the online application process. You will need to know your student ID number to complete this form, if you don't know this then contact us at or by phone 023 8059 2747 and we will look it up for you.

Please note: if you graduated more than five years ago you will need to send a photograph of yourself (as a jpeg file) to once you have completed your application online. Please put 'Alumni ID card, your name, your student ID' in the subject line.

Alternatively you can download an application form and return it to us by email or post with a colour passport photograph. If you have any queries please contact

**Please note Student Services is very busy at the beginning of term (end of September/October), so please be aware there maybe a wait of ten working days.

How do I renew my alumni card?

The process is the same as above, you have to complete the online form or application form and we will post it to you when it's ready. Please see further information above.

What do I do if my Alumni ID Card is lost or stolen?

LOST: If the card is lost and made within the last three years, you will have to pay a replacement fee of £10. Please use the online store's 'alumni lost-stolen replacement card' option or fill out the application form.

STOLEN: If the card is stolen and you have reported it to the Police you do not have to pay the replacement fee as long as you can provide the police crime number. Please contact the office and then complete the same 'alumni lost-stolen replacement card' option or fill out the application form and provide a new colour passport sized photograph.

Can I obtain an Alumni ID Card if I am not an alumnus?

If you did not study a degree course for more than 10 weeks at the University of Southampton you are not eligible to use the Alumni Services. You can however still join the Sports facilities and the Library as an external borrower or local resident. Please contact Sport and Wellbeing on 023 8059 2119 or the Hartley Library on 023 8059 2180 directly for further assistance.

How do I obtain a new degree certificate? Or transcript?

You need to contact the Examinations Office. For a new certificate please email For transcripts please email Alternatively you can telephone the Examinations Office on 023 8059 2823 or visit the website here.

What help can the Alumni Office give me to arrange a reunion?

We are very happy to assist Alumni in organising their own events. We can tell you who we are in contact with from your year/course/hall and can then forward information on for you. We can list your event on our Forthcoming Events page. We can also help with venue and catering advice. Just ask, we will help if we can!

How long does my student email account run after I graduate/leave University?

The account will remain active for approximately three months after your leaving date. You will receive an alert from i-Solutions approximately two weeks before the account is closed. Alumni who graduated from summer 2013 onwards receive a free alumni email account, earlier graduates can use our Email for Life Forwarding service. For more information click here.

What career assistance is available to me?

We provide you with free careers support through Career Destinations. Using the Careers Portal you can log in and see available jobs, gain assistance with CVs and interviews and access a variety of skills sessions and workshops. 1:1 appointments are also available through the Career Consultancy initiative. Visit the Career Destinations website for more information or telephone 023 8059 3501.

Key facts

Other useful numbers

023 8059 5000
Careers Destinations:
023 8059 3501
Examinations Office:
023 8059 2823,

Hartley Library:
023 8059 2180
Jubilee Sports Centre:
023 8059 2119
Students' Union:
023 8059 5200