Getting into Accountancy & Tax
Listed below you will find a variety of resources - weblinks, videos, articles, books and publications, professional organisations, employer and graduate insights - to help you explore accountancy and make targeted applications.
Accountancy & Business Services
Find out about getting into the industry. Includes information on: job roles, typical employers, future trends, case studies and further links.
Ajit - 1st year, studying Banking and Finance, finds out how work experience can help his career
Job Profiles within the Industry
Accountancy Job Profiles include:
- Accounting Technician
- Chartered Accountant
- Chartered Certified Accountant
- Chartered Management Accountant
- Chartered Public Finance Accountant
- Financial Manager
- Tax Adviser
- Tax Inspector
Each job role includes information on: what the role involves, salary expectations, entry requirements, sources of vacancies and further links.
Additional Websites (not included in job profiles)
Please note: The link above will take you through to many other websites with information about getting into the industry. The following links are ones that are NOT included in the above:
Career Player.com for video clips on Accounting and Financial careers
Target Jobs - Accountancy & Financial Management
Sector specific information for the accountancy and financial management industry.
Find out about working in Chartered & Management Accountancy and Tax, and access the electronic version of ‘Career Choice City & Finance’.
Guardian, CV Clinic
Student wanting to get into Chartered Accountancy has her CV looked at by somebody in the industry. The student is a University of Southampton graduate!
Guardian, A working life: Accountant
Day in the life of an Accountant.
Joslin Rowe, London's Accountancy & Finance Salary Survey
Find out about London salaries in the sector. Joslin Rowe is a specialist financial recruitment agency.
Business, finance and careers newspaper. Includes a useful article ‘How to read the Financial Times’.
Kaplan Financial, International Students
UK’s leading provider of accountancy and financial training. They include a section on their website for international students.
Guardian, A working life: Insolvency Administrator
Day in the life of an Insolvency Administrator.
Association of Practising Accountants
Includes a guide to training with a medium sized firm.
Accountancy careers in local government.
Guardian, A working life: Tax Inspector
Day in the life of a tax inspector.
Starting a career in accounting
Guardian live Q & A, 15th January 2012
Accountancy & Financial Management, Targetjobs Employer Insights
Gain inside information about companies within the industry.
Resources in the Information Centre
- Inside Careers: Chartered Accountancy
- Inside Careers Career Choice: City & Finance
- Vault Guide to the top UK Accounting Firms 2009 edition, Saba Haider
- Accountancy (journal also available at www.accountancymagazine.com)
- International Accountant (journal)
- Targetjobs City & Finance
- Targetjobs Finance & Law Channel Islands
- eFinancial Careers, Careers in Banking & Finance
- Learning to learn Accountancy, BPP, 2007
- Careers in Accountancy 2010, ACCA
- ACA Training Vacancies: Careers in Chartered Accountancy, 2010
- Available via Webcat
- Careers uncovered:accountancy uncovered, 2010, J. Keaveney
- Careers in focus:business, 2009, Ferguson