The Excel Southampton Internship Programme specialises in providing support, for large corporations, local and national SMEs and public and third sector organisations, seeking to recruit students for internships throughout the year.
Since it began in 2009 the programme has rapidly expanded, with over 400 internships filled in 2015/16.
Appointing a student from the University of Southampton will enable your organisation to enjoy a number of benefits including:
Our intern has been outstanding from start to finish and a real credit to the University of Southampton
We are seeking internships across all business sectors, working with organisations of various sizes. Whether you’re a small start-up looking to hire your first intern, a third sector organisation requiring extra resource, or a seasoned graduate recruiter, we have the expertise to guide and support you through the process.
In order for an internship to be eligible for the programme it must:
- Last between 4-12 weeks over a vacation period or during term-time
- Provide a meaningful project giving real value to a host organisation and allowing students a focus to develop their skills
- Be exclusive to University of Southampton students
- Be paid at a minimum rate of £7.87p/h (we will provide part funding)
- Be based in the UK
*NB - All term-time internships must be part-time.
Full-time internships are the equivalent of 35 working hours per week.
Please see our Employer Handbook for further details on eligibility.
Please ensure that you read the Employer Handbook in full before applying to the Excel Southampton Internship Programme
1. Complete a Job Description & Person Specification form and Health & Safety Questionnaire (found in ‘Useful Downloads' below)
2. Register your organisation on MyCareer and post your internship to the Excel Southampton Internship Programme found in the 'Excel Southampton Internships' tab at the top of the homepage. If attempting to post before your organisation has been approved, please select 'Post New Work Experience & Volunteering role. Please read the 'How to post an opportunity to the Excel Southampton Internship Programme' section of our MyCareer Employer Guide for detailed instructions of how to register and post your opportunity.
3. If approved, your vacancy will be advertised to the student body free of charge (see Employer Handbook for timeline)
4. Once the vacancy has closed, all applications will be sifted by the Internship Team and you will be forwarded a shortlist of candidates
5. If necessary, you may wish to shortlist further
6. All applicants should then be contacted and any interviews arranged by you (interview facilities at the University are available upon request)
7. Once a suitable candidate has been chosen, the Internship Team must be informed and you will be sent an Internship Agreement to complete and return to us
Please note: internships will be unable to commence until a signed and completed Internship Agreement has been returned.
In order to be able to offer our students the best possible internship experience, we ask that you commit to providing:
*NB - Easter and summer internships must not commence before the designated Induction Day stated in our Employer Handbook
For more information about our terms and conditions please read our Employer Handbook found in ‘Useful Downloads’ below.
We have worked with a wide variety of organisations, from small start-ups to large well-known national corporations. Here is just a selection of those that participated in the programme in 2014/15:
Wildlife protection trust
A globally renowned aid and development charity
Local county council
The biggest theatre on the south coast
Museum of the history of the Royal Navy
Company offering innovative oat ingredients for the cosmetic market
Southampton University Students' Union
Airport serving the local Southampton area
If you'd like to find out more about some of last year's internships, please check out our blog HERE
The Santander Universities SME Internship Programme for 2016/17 supports internships for any students or graduates from the University of Southampton:
• Internships last between 1 and 10 weeks
• Up to 2 week internships are fully-funded at a rate of £300 per week
• 3 to 10 week internships are partly funded at a rate of £150 per week. The company will be required to match fund for the duration
For more information contact email@example.com or call 023 8059 3501.
If you have any queries, please contact a member of the Internship Team:
Telephone: 02380 593501