Use these hyperlinks to navigate within this webpage to relevant sections.
- What is Enterprise? ->
- Do you have a business idea? ->
- Enactus Southampton ->
- Fish on Toast ->
- AIESEC ->
The enterprise team within Career Destinations support students who are interested in:
- developing entrepreneurial skills
- finding out about self-employment
We organise a series of workshops and guest speakers to explore and address enterprise-related issues. For example "First Steps in Enterprise". This workshop would be a good starting point for any student thinking about enterprise. Employers are increasingly seeking graduates with entrepreneurial skills. This workshop is designed to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to become more entrepreneurial, enterprising and employable - whether you want to run your own business or secure a graduate role in your chosen profession. You can book a place on any of our events through the Events Calendar.
When you're developing a novel idea into a possible business it pays to have a framework of questions to help you explore that idea. We offer the The University of Southampton Business Idea Development Tool developed by Wazoku and funded for the University by SETsquared and Find Invest Grow. The resource is free to use and totally secure.
You can use it to:
- Start sketching out the key principles and concepts of your business idea
- Use the framework questions within the tool to test out your assumptions and help you identify the things you need to work on
- Invite other people to leave feedback on your ideas in a safe and secure manner
- The Frameworks within the tool are based on the bestselling "The New Business Road-test" by Professor John Mullins of London Business School.
Enactus is a not for profit organisation active in over 1,600 universities in 47 countries. In Southampton Enactus is supported by the University and aims to develop real business opportunities for individuals and communities in need. The principle is based on social enterprise, where businesses are created to tackle social problems, improve communities, people’s life chances, or the environment.
Students who get involved in the Enactus programme will develop entrepreneurial, leadership and business skills in a way that is both effective in developing their future careers and meaningful to the community. Guided by business advisers students run real-life projects that create economic opportunity for others. We have an active and growing team, currently undertaking work in the following areas:
- Personal Financial Skills
- Business Ethics
- Project Design and Implementation
Enactus Southampton has a number of roles open for new members. For more information on current projects, roles, events and recent successes visit http://enactussouthampton.com or join their Facebook group.
Fish On Toast was set up and run by students. The team deliver speaker events, workshops and competitions to inspire, develop and support entrepreneurs within the university. Whether you want to start a business, learn more about entrepreneurship or even get hands-on experience with real-world business, then this is the place for you.
Benefits of getting involved:
Getting involved with Fish on Toast will greatly enhance your University experience and give you the opportunity to:
- Explore entrepreneurship as a career or business opportunity
- Hear from entrepreneurs, who have successfully run their own businesses
- Meet like-minded people, build a network and discuss ideas
- Gain support for your student start-up
- Develop hands-on business skills
- Get access to great local and national enterprise competitions
- Gain Graduate Passport points
- Free Pizza!
So...how can you NOT be an Entrepreneur?
At AIESEC Southampton we pride ourselves on member development by providing the perfect complement to any university degree. Members are given the opportunity to develop their skills at weekly meetings, networking events, skills-based national conferences and international conferences too. Members are given training to drive exchanges and this includes networking with businesses and corporate partners from all over the country.
- Engage in active leadership by participation in teams
- Work Abroad in over 100 countries on issues of international importance
- Develop a global network of like-minded people as well as business and corporate partners
- Attend National & International Conferences
- Have lots & lots of fun!