Gaining Work Experience
A placement or work experience is an excellent way to help you to stand out from the crowd. Not only will it enable you to develop many skills that graduate employers look for when recruiting, it will assist you in putting the theory behind your degree into practice. There are many ways to find and secure work experience through various placement programmes but you can also gain valuble work experinces and skills through part-time work and positions of responsibility in clubs and societies. Volunteering or work shadowing can also be benifical in developing skills and getting an insight in to the types of jobs and roles available.
Come into Career Destinations, where you will find a range of information on the opportunities available, alternatively explore the following parts of our website:
- Excel Southampton Placement Programme - Over 150 paid placement opportunities exclusively for University of Southampton undergraduate and taught masters students.
- Subject and Sector Information - Research your options by seeing what others have done with your subject or finding out more about a sector
- Work Experience - Useful websites to help you find internships, vacation work and working holiday opportunities
- Part-Time Work -Information on finding part time work to complement your studies
- Voluntary Work - Links to unpaid work experience opportunities