There are many opportunities to gain volunteering experience both during term-time and in vacations. Although unpaid these will still provide you with the types of workplace skills which employers value and some organisations may even offer training as part of a voluntary role. In some career areas, such as environmental conservation and social work, volunteering is the first step to gaining vital work experience.
Check out our Volunteering Pages to find out more about volunteering and why you should get involved during your time at university. You'll improve your employability and get involved with the local community too so it's a great way to develop skills and make new friends!
- Southampton Hub - A network of students who are engaged in changing society for the better. They can help you get informed about the issues that matter through volunteering events and opportunities.
- SUSU - The University of Southampton Students' Union have a wide range of societies that will give you the opportunity to volunteer. You can also get involved with RAG (Raising and Giving) and make a difference to those in the community.
- Southampton Voluntary Services - The umbrella body for local voluntary and community groups working in Southampton. They provide a wide range of services including specialist support, advice and training. They also provide and promote information to individuals and organisations on volunteering in the city.
- Do-It - With their partners in volunteering centres across the UK they can make sure that those who want to volunteer can. Enter your town or postcode in to the Do-it widgit below to find volunteering opportunties and organisations near you.
- Volunteering England - are committed to supporting, enabling and celebrating volunteering in all its diversity. Their work links policy, research, innovation, good practice and programme management in the involvement of volunteers. The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) and Volunteering England merged on 1 January 2013. Volunteering England’s 1,800 members became NCVO members, while existing NCVO members gained access to Volunteering England resources.
- vInspired - is a charity that connects young people with volunteering opportunities.
- CSV - The UK volunteering and learning charity.