Career planning timetable
ECS and Career Destinations work together to provide students with a variety of opportunities to develop their career management and employability skills.
Throughout the year
- Attend careers events such as employer talks, mock interviews, starting point talks and workshops on applications and assessment centres and much more. Some events require prior booking.
- Build your profile through the University of Southampton Graduate Passport.
- Use the reference and take away materials in Career Destinations.
- Check out employers on the ECS Careers Hub
- Employability tutorials: on-line resources for use by for all first year ECS students either in tutorials, or by self-service. (How to be successful during and after your degree; Values and Choices; Learning from Experience) .
- All modules have some embedded skills and employability content
Group design and professional issues modules may cover particular issues such as teamwork, presentation and integrity specifically, but once you begin to understand the world or work, you will see that much of what you do at university is transferable to the workplace.
- ECSwomen organise a range of events targeting women, including talks by alumni and professionals on their careers
- 1st Year Computer Science, Software Eng and ITO students
Tutorial based workshops for creating and building up your CV
- 3rd Year students - a professional approach to career management
Short introduction to issues third year students should be addressing, part of the Individual Project Start-up process.
- IT, Science and Engineering Careers Fair
October, Garden Court, 11.00 - 15.30
Meet science and technology employers and recruitment agencies; thinking wider, then come along to the Business, Management and Finance Fair as well.
- ECS Careers Fair - 12th February 2013
A popular fair with employers targeting ECS students
- Be prepared by attend the talk, 'Prepare for the fair' and getting your CV up-to-date and checked over:
- ECS Careers Quick Queries and CV feedback sessions
These run regularly through the academic year, dates are promoted by email.
- Specialist career management workshops for PGRs
Your Grad School will keep you up-to-date on how to book a place.
- Graduate Recruitment Fair June
Another opportunity to meet employers and find out what they have to offer. Take along a paper and electronic CV to take advantage of current opportunities.