AUDI6001 Research Project
This module provides the opportunity to gain deeper learning of research and your specialist field.
Aims and Objectives
• To develop your critical faculties for evaluating research • To develop your ability to define a research question, plan and execute an investigation to answer that question • To develop your understanding of the structure and elements of a research project in preparation for undertaking relevant research at work
Disciplinary Specific Learning Outcomes
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Motivate an appropriate research project through critical evaluation of existing literature and theory, and the identification and justification of a novel research question.
- To design, justify and execute a plan of scientific investigation (usually involving the collection of observations), involving the critical evaluation of alternative research strategies and within constrains of resources available.
- Critically evaluate the results of your investigation, in comparison with existing literature and theory, to draw appropriate conclusions.
- Demonstrate mastery of written scientific communication, including effective graphical presentation of data, observation of scientific conventions, the use of concise and clear language and the presentation of logical, coherent arguments.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Learning activities are based on motivating, designing, carrying out, analysing, interpreting and presenting a research study. Teaching methods are based around (1) introductory sessions with, and general oversight from, the module co-ordinator; (2) meetings with, and ongoing feedback of ideas and work from, your research supervisor who will guide you through the process. Your supervisor might also assist you to prepare a manuscript based on your research for submission to an academic journal.
|Total study time||450|
Resources & Reading list
Field (2013). Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS.
Mitchell & Jolley (2007|2011|2012). Research Design Explained.
Method of Repeat Year: Repeat year externally (via re-submission of thesis). Repeat year internally (via new project with new supervisor).
Repeat type: Internal & External