CHEM6133 Scientific writing and presentation skills for Chemistry MSc
This module is consists of the completion of the literature review in preparation for the student’s MSc dissertation project, which will be completed in the third semester, and its presentation in the form of a written report.
Aims and Objectives
(1) To develop students skills in accessing and assessing the scientific literature. (2) To develop students abilities to manage their own learning. (3) To develop students abilities to present their work in written format.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Communicate the results of a review of the scientific literature relevant to your project in writing, using appropriate scientific terminology and formatting.
- Manage personal study time effectively to balance the different needs of the literature review and other course work.
- Collate and analyse data from a variety of sources.
- Work independently towards achieving well defined objectives.
- Identify key elements of the scientific literature that are relevant to a research area.
Literature Review - Completion of an extended piece of written work. - Fortnightly meetings with supervisor(s), either independently or in groups. - Training in literature searching using online methods and databases. - Training in scientific writing. - Submission and assessment of the dissertation report. - Presentation of literature study.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Workshops and short lectures will be used to present key knowledge, concepts and a general framework of for the conduct of independent research. Supervisory meetings one-to-one tuition to devise dissertation subject, set milestones, and review progress.
|Wider reading or practice||78|
|Completion of assessment task||40|
|Practical classes and workshops||16|
|Total study time||138|
Resources & Reading list
Kirsty MacDonald. Key Skills for Scientists.