COMP6219 Designing Usable and Accessible Technologies
- To explore the relationship between accessibility, usability and user experience. - To understand the role of Assistive Technologies in achieving universal design. - To prepare students to engage in research and development in accessibility, usability and user experience.
Aims and Objectives
To introduce the design of usable and accessible technologies
Knowledge and Understanding
Having successfully completed this module, you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- Definitions of Usability and User Experience
- Models of disability
- Definitions of Assistive Technology and Universal Design
- Current research in assistive technology and universal design
Subject Specific Intellectual and Research Skills
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- The interdisciplinary approach to design, research, evaluation
- Assessment for assistive technology and universal design
- Usability and User Experience - Case for universal design (Business, Legislation, Moral, self interest) - Models of disability - Ethical research issues - Assistive Technologies and Universal Design - Accessibility and Usability Standards - Assistive Technology Assessment and Evaluation - Involving users in research design and evaluation - Research in assistive technologies and universal design
Learning and Teaching
|Wider reading or practice||28|
|Completion of assessment task||62|
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||12|
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Krug, S (2013). Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (Voices That Matter)..
Horton, S & Queensbury, W (2014). A Web for Everyone Designing Accessible User Experiences.
Rogers, Y., Sharp, H. & Preece, J (2014). Interaction Design.
Pickering, H (2016). Inclusive Design Patterns. Coding Accessibility Into Web Design.
Connor, J.O (2012). Pro HTML5 Accessibility.
Jonathan Hassell (2014). Including your missing 20% by embedding web and mobile accessibility.
Scherer, M. J (2005). Living in the State of Stuck: How Technology Impacts the Lives of People with Disabilities.
Wendt, O (2011). Assistive technology: Principles and applications for communication disorders and special education.
Raluca Budiu and Jakob Nielsen (2012). Mobile Usability.
Cook, A. M. & Polgar, J. M. (2015). Assistive Technologies: Principles and Practice.
Repeat type: Internal & External