EDUC3022 Advanced Research Methods
This module is designed to provide you with some of the research skills required to carry out a final year dissertation in psychology. It involves developing your ability to critically evaluate and review research articles in education and psychology, and learning how to analyse and present the results of statistical analyses of the relationship between several independent variables and a dependent variable. The critical reviews are based on articles drawn from your dissertation area. The main focus of the statistics component is on analysis of variance and multiple regression, but non-parametric equivalents are also considered.
Aims and Objectives
- Provide you with some of the research skills required to carry out a final year dissertation in psychology; - Develop your ability to critically evaluate and review research articles in education and psychology; - Enable you to analyse and present the results of statistical analyses involving several independent variables and a dependent variable.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Engage in methodologically-informed discussion of contemporary research in education and psychology.
- Use analysis of variance and multiple regression to analyse data.
- Present the findings of these analyses effectively in the format recommended by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Interpret, and effectively communicate, empirical research in written form.
Topics normally covered in this module will include: - Writing critical reviews - Experimental and correlational design - Multi-factor analysis of variance - Multiple regression - Non-parametric analysis - Reporting results in APA format
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
This module will use a mix of lectures, seminars and practical workshops, combined within two-hour sessions. Sessions will involve an interactive lecture on a method of statistical analysis, followed by practice of the method with feedback. Seminars will require you to read, and participate in group discussions about, research papers within the field of psychology.
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Discovering statistics using SPSS.
Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach.
Doing Quantitative Research in Education with SPSS.
Applying Regression and Correlation: A Guide for Students and Researchers.
Lichtman, M. (2010). Qualitative Research in Education: A User's Guide..
|Critical review (2000 words)||50%|
|Statistics Test (2000 words)||50%|
Repeat type: Internal & External