EDUC6344 Investigating Innovations in Learning and Teaching
When you study this module you will examine and investigate notions of innovation and notions of innovation within formal and informal learning and teaching settings. Your pre-conceptions of the role technological innovations in such settings will be challenged. You will investigate and seek to evaluate and assess learning and teaching contexts which encourage innovations and consider the possible barriers to innovation. Where appropriate, models of innovation and technological adoption within organisations and for individuals will be assessed and evaluated.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of the module are to provide you with: • An ability to recognise different forms of innovation in learning and teaching. • An ability to take a critical approach to interrogating different forms of innovation and associated claims; • An understanding of how develop informed judgements and critical thinking in the context of educational practice; and • An ability to explore the barriers to and enablers of change in educational innovation.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Recognise different forms of innovation in learning and teaching
- Evaluate the effectiveness of learning and teaching innovations in a range of educational settings
- Reflect on your own professional practice and development striving to improve the effectiveness of your decisions and actions
- Take a critical approach to interrogating different forms of innovation and associated claims
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how to develop informed judgements and critical thinking in the context of educational practice
- Explore the barriers to and enablers of change in educational innovation
- Design learning and teaching which fosters quality learning in a range of educational settings
- Recommend learning and teaching strategies which promote quality in a range of educational settings
- Evaluate assessment procedures which foster in a range of educational settings
- Design appropriate innovations in learning and teaching in in a range of educational settings
- Identify potential innovations in learning and teaching in in a range of educational settings
In studying this module, you will cover aspects of: - Current and potential developments to support teaching and learning across educational contexts and settings; - Critiques of specific enablers and barriers to innovations in educational, training and other potential learning environments; - Approaches to establishing and evaluating innovations in learning and teaching? - Models of innovation and technological adoption and take up.
A special feature of this module is the nature of the assessment which requires you to design and produce a short podcast (normally a short video) as an abstract for the written work. Support is provided. The relative skill/learning gain for the individual is important, so that anyone, whether you have existing skills and experience or not, has the opportunity to be successful.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
The teaching and learning methods will include lectures, workshops, seminars that involve group discussions, presentations, self directed study and other learning activities.
|Wider reading or practice||60|
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||12|
|Completion of assessment task||80|
|Total study time||200|
Resources & Reading list
Additional information. This is an incomplete list of resources that may be helpful. Further information and details about various similar resources will be provided. There is no single book that provides appropriate coverage for this module. The following publications are suggested as potential sources. Many more suggestions will be made during the sessions and on the module Blackboard. Note: any of Neil Selwyn's books held by the library will be helpful.
The assessment for this module typically consists of a 3-5 minute podcast which presents and describes an innovation in teaching and learning practice which may normally be, but not necessarily, viewed as a video/audio abstract for the associated 3000 word critical essay. Together they will identify, investigate and critically discuss an innovation in teaching and learning. Both elements are marked as one single piece. For guidance, the podcast should represent 25% of the effort and the critical essay 75% of the effort. To be clear although there are two elements, a single mark is awarded. If either part is submitted late then standard late penalties will be applied to the mark as a whole.
|Podcast and Critical Essay||100%|
Repeat type: Internal & External