EDUC6403 DETS(A) Dissertation (B)
The dissertation builds on work undertaken across other modules and provides you with an opportunity to undertake a piece of independent research in a chosen topic. Normally, your dissertation will be individually supervised.
Aims and Objectives
• Make your own contribution to educational understanding by presenting a coherent, detailed and sustained argument at length on an educational topic; • Develop advanced practical and analytical skills in a range of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods as an academic researcher and writer on educational and social matters; • Develop your own ideas and organise a project independently but with supportive guidance. • Refine and practice a range of skills which would be useful to you in further study or a professional/work based context.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the research process and understand methods of data collection and analysis and apply them in a self-reliant manner
- Analyse and synthesise research findings
- Produce and present a carefully argued dissertation
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the approaches by which research and critical awareness of debates in education can be utilised to construct a scholarly argument.
- Critically evaluate an appropriate range of relevant primary source materials and arguments reflected in other sources and propose a relevant area of investigation
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of your chosen dissertation project, its potential impact on practice and the range of relevant scholarly literature and source materials
- Choose and evaluate a feasible independent research design, project plan and structure
- Devise appropriate research questions
- Devise appropriate research methods to undertake a research project
- Acquire appropriate Ethical and Research Governance approvals
- Demonstrate an understanding of data collection and analysis methods
There are no special features for this module.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
In studying this module you will cover aspects of the following: • Strategies for focusing and managing the research process. • Quantitative and qualitative methodologies and approaches to research. • Key data collection methods (surveys, interviews, focus groups, observation). • Methods for analysing and interpreting data. • Dissertation writing and presentation skills
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Hopkins, D. (2002). A Teacher’s Guide to Classroom Research.
Wengraf, T. (2002). Qualitative Research Interviewing.
Strauss, A. and J. Corbin (1990). Basics of Qualitative Research.
Rubin, I., & Rubin, H. (2005). Qualitative Interviewing: The Art of Hearing Data.
Oppenheim, A. (2000). Questionnaire Design.
Wragg, E. (1999). An Introduction to Classroom Observation.
Patton, M. (2002). Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods.
Willig, C. (2008). Introducing Qualitative Research in Psychology.
Kvale, S. (2008). Interviews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing.
Punch, K. (2009). Introduction to Research methods in Education.
Guba, E., & Lincoln, Y. (1998). Competing paradigms in Qualitative research . In Denzin, N. & Lincoln, Y. (eds). The Landscape of Qualitative Research: Theories and Issues.
Fink, A. (2009). How to conduct Surveys: A Step by Step Guide.
McNiff, J., & Whitehead, J. (2002). Action Research: Principles and Practice.
Fink, A. (1998). Conducting Research Literature Reviews.
Lichtman, M. (2010). Qualitative Research in Education- A User’s Guide.
Neuendorf, K. (2002). The Content Analysis Guidebook.
Krippendorff, K. (2004). Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology.
Bell, J. (2005). Doing your research project: a guide for first-time researchers in education, health and social science.
Yin, R. (2004). The Case Study Anthology.
Muijs, D. (2004/8). Doing Quantitative Research in Education with SPSS.
Creswell, J. (2002). Research Design: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches.
|Dissertation (17000 words)||100%|
Repeat type: Internal