MEDI4014 Library Based Project
This module will enable you to develop and demonstrate your ability to appraise and present primary evidence relevant to your chosen research project.
Aims and Objectives
To introduce you to the scientific literature relevant to your research topic and allow you to put forward an experimental protocol for your pro
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Use appropriate resources to access scientific information.
- Apply this skill and synthesis of the literature to develop your comprehension of your chosen research area.
- Critically appraise and evaluate the literature underpinning your research topic.
- Contextualise your research topic and question within current clinical practice.
- Develop a testable and defensible scientific hypothesis based on your critical evaluation.
- Produce a summary of the experimental protocol you intend to adopt to test the hypothesis
This unit is designed for MMedSc students who will be taking an extended research project the following year. Supervisors will submit project titles to the MMedSc project module co-ordinator and a list of suitable projects circulated to the students. After discussion with the project supervisor the student will select a topic and produce an in-depth critical analysis of the relevant literature in the project area. Students will also produce a 500 word experimental protocol outlining the scientific hypothesis, programme of work to be carried out, the ethical considerations and the rationale for any statistical analysis used in their work. Finally students will produce a 500 word lay summary of the project.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
1. Introductory lecture 2. Seminars 3. E-learning 4. Independent study
|Wider reading or practice||150|
|Completion of assessment task||124|
|Total study time||298|
Resources & Reading list
3500 word projects are double marked by the main supervisor and a nominated second marker. They are assessed on the basis of scientific content of the completed library project (60%), an experimental protocol (15%) and a lay summary (500 words) of the project (25%)
|Lay summary (500 words)||25%|
|Project (3500 words)||60%|
Repeat type: Internal & External
To study this module, you will need to have studied the following module(s):
|MEDI2045||Research for Medicine & Health|
To study this module, you will need to also study the following module(s):
|MEDI4015||Medical and Scientific Presentations|