NPMS3033 Evidence Base for Midwifery Practice
This module enables you to continue to develop your research knowledge base and analysis skills from years one and two. It facilitates reflection on practice to further appreciate the importance of evidence based midwifery practice. The module encourages the critical analysis of evidence from a wide variety of sources and its appropriate application to practice. As part of the module you will analyse a midwifery practice topic, identify and critically analyse literature on that topic, and develop a research proposal to address a research question generated from your review. This substantial project will enable you to further develop your abilities as a lifelong learner and midwife.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the module is to enable you to undertake a substantial piece of academic activity in an area of midwifery practice of particular interest to you. In doing this project you will enhance your independent learning skills of critical reflection on practice, critical appraisal of literature skills and the ability to synthesise material from a variety of sources to develop a project proposal from initial idea to application to midwifery practice.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Critically reflect on practice and identify a clinically focused question that might be addressed using a research approach.
- Systematically identify and critically review the current best practice (policy/ guidelines) and the literature in the topic area.
- Synthesise from the literature review to develop an appropriate research question(s.)
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge based of research theory through the justification of all stages of the research process for your research project plan.
- Demonstrate best midwifery practice in your articulation of ethical and client focused elements within your project.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the context and provision of maternity services in your articulation of potential challenges and solutions to undertaking the suggested research project.
- Critically analyse the professional issues that might arise during the conduct of your suggested project, making innovative suggestions for how these might be overcome.
- Demonstrate the skills of independent learning appropriate to a midwife throughout the conduct of this project.
This content will build on the knowledge gain in all previous modules but in particular those of the online research module of year 2. Critical review of theory and practice • Search and selection of evidence • Critical review of evidence Research theory • Paradigms and Research Approaches • Developing research questions/ hypotheses and objectives • Sampling frameworks and processes • Data collection and analysis Ethical and legal • Ethical principles in research • Research governance processes • Recognising and Protecting vulnerable clients • Informed Consent • Data protection Decision making • Dissemination • Project management skills • Self-management • Time management
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures (Research related) Technology enhanced learning activities Self-directed study Seminar activity Small group and individual supervision
|Total study time||375|
Resources & Reading list
Cluett ER and Bluff R (2006). Principles and Practice of Research in Midwifery.
Gerrish K and Lacey A (2010). The Research Process in Nursing.
Craig JV and Smyth, RL. (2012). The Evidence-Based Practice Manual for Nurses.
Gray DE (2009). Doing Research in the Real World.
Creswell JW (2011). Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research.
Straus SE, Richardson WS, Glasziou P and Haynes RB (2011). Evidence-Based Medicine. How to Practise and Teach EBM.
Flick U (2011). Introducing Research Methodology; A Beginners Guide to Doing A Research Project.
Greenhalgh T (2014). How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine.
Bowling A (2014). Research Methods in Health: Investigating Health and Health Services.
Polit DF and Beck CT (2014). Essentials of Nursing Research; Appraising Evidence for Nursing Practice.
Presentation & Peer Discussion
|Research proposal (5000 words)||100%|
Repeat type: Internal & External