STAT6099 Research Skills
This module focuses on practical aspects of research communication skills including oral presentation, scientific report writing, and statistical and demographic consulting.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of this module are to: discuss the principles and best practices of good scientific communication skills; understand the strategies of disseminating scientific findings in oral and written formats such as presentations, research reports and papers; and acquire practical training in statistical and demographic consultancy.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Deliver written and oral presentations especially of technical material
- Apply conventions and best practice in written and oral presentation
- Summarise scientific material and results of research clearly and present them in an appropriate form to a range of audiences
- Apply critical thinking skills
- Apply problem framing and solving skills
- Produce actual examples of good oral and written communication skills
- Present statistical advice and recommendations verbally and in writing
One component of this module focuses on report writing, organisation of material in a report, presenting and communicating quantitative material, good designs of tables and graphs, referencing, and academic integrity. A second component of the module teaches you how to communicate scientific material well in oral presentation, and gives you practice and feedback on your presentation skills. A third component covers statistical/demographic consulting.
This module is taught across both semesters 1 and 2.
Learning and Teaching
|Total study time||100|
Resources & Reading list
R. Hall (2007). Brilliant Presentation..
On-line resources. Includes online tutorials on academic integrity and referencing
J. Derr (2000). Statistical Consulting: A Guide to Effective Communication.
J. E. Miller (2005). The Chicago Guide to Writing about Multivariate Analysis.
S. Goodlad (1990). Speaking Technically.
G. Harvey (1998). Writing with Sources: A guide for students..
|Statistical/ demographic consultancy||40%|
Repeat type: Internal & External