CLEAPSS Radiation Protection Supervisor TrainingEvent
- 09:30 - 16:00, 21 June 2017
- Worthing College, 1 Sandition Way, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 9FD
For more information regarding this event, please telephone Mathematics and Science Learning Centre on 023 8059 8810 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
This course is for the school Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) - the person responsible for managing the safe storage, use and monitoring of radioactive sources in the science department. The RPS will normally be a member of the teaching staff, often the Head of Physics. Any teacher who uses radioactive sources will also benefit. See CLEAPSS leaflet PS75, which explains why the RPS should be a teacher. Suitable for: Teachers, Heads of Department. Please note this course is intended for teachers. Course led by Samir Moezzi.
The course is based on the CLEAPSS guide L093 Managing Ionising Radiations and Radioactive Substances. It includes practical demonstrations and answers questions frequently asked on the CLEAPSS Helpline. There are opportunities to raise issues and to ask specific questions.
What will the course include?
- legislation and guidance, the role of the RPA, RPO and RPS
- nuclear physics, radioactivity and radiation - teaching and resources
- storage of radioactive substances
- using radioactive sources to demonstrate the properties of ionising radiations
- doses and biological effects of ionising radiations
- radiological protection and its management
- responsibilities of the RPS, including Local Rules
- different types of radioactive sources and their care, including preparing sources for half-life investigations
- monitoring and record keeping, including leak testing and contamination checking
- cloud chambers
- disposal of radioactive sources
Course Fee: £120 per person attending
This is for a full day of professional development, all CLEAPSS course resources, lunch and refreshments.
CLEAPSS courses are intended for CLEAPSS members – if you are uncertain about your membership please contact CLEAPSS on 01895 251496. An additional charge may be payable for non-members attending courses.