Our Foundation Years provide a solid grounding for further study at undergraduate level.
The Foundation Years are aimed at capable motivated students who have not taken the typical A Level route or who have not taken the A Level subjects normally required for direct entry to our degree programmes.
It may suit you if you are:
- A capable student studying A Levels but not in the subjects required for direct entry to your chosen degree
- A suitably experienced mature student
- A capable student studying a BTEC National Diploma or other vocational award who has not yet studied theory to a suffi cient depth for direct entry to our degrees
The programmes are available for International Students, please visit the International Office pages to find out if you are eligible to apply.
Our data shows that students who successfully complete a Foundation Year at Southampton are often able to achieve outstanding results in their degree.
The Foundation Year forms the initial year of a 4 or 5 year undergraduate degree.
By the end of the Foundation Year you will have gained:
- An introduction to the key concepts of your chosen degree subject
- The language skills needed for successful undergraduate study
- Effective academic skills
- An understanding of the demands and requirements of university life
We offer two Foundation Years; depending upon your chosen undergraduate degree discipline you will either take the Engineering/Geophysics/Physics Foundation Year of the Science Foundation Year.
Take a look at the table below to find out which Foundation Year is appropriate for your preferred degree programme.
|Engineering/Physics/Geophysics Foundation Year||Science Foundation Year|
|Civil or Environmental Engineering||Biomedical Sciences|
|Electrical Engineering||Environmental Sciences|
|Electro-Mechanical Engineering||Marine Biology|