The one-year full-time course is structured around two semesters, each approximately 12 weeks long, starting in September. The Foundation Year aims to prepare you for degree study and during the year you will improve your English through 90 credits (900 hours of learning) of compulsory modules.
These tell you about the overall aims and regulations for your programme. Download the Science Foundation Year Programme Specifications
The Foundation Year (Science) programme is integrated with a 3- or 4-year undergraduate degree programme. Whatever degree course you are aiming for, you will take all the modules listed below. The modules are studied throughout the year and are assessed through both coursework and examination. For each module the coursework carries 40% of the marks. The number of pieces and type of coursework will vary for each modules. All modules carry equal weighting
The module specifications tell you about the aims and content of each module you will study.
You will be assessed through a combination of unseen written examinations and coursework. Coursework includes computing assignments, laboratory reports, presentations, example problems etc. You will find out more about assessment in the Routes To Success programme specification.
Learning and Teaching Methods
You will learn from a mixture of lectures, small group teaching, laboratory sessions, tutorials, coursework assignments and private study. You will develop your ability to study independently using a range of different resources including lecture notes, problem sheets, practical sessions, text books, web resources and feedback from submitted work.
Key Dates Academic Year 2012/13
- Semester 1: Thursday 27 September 2012 - Saturday 26 January 2013
- Semester 2: Monday 28 January 2013 - Saturday 15 June 2013
- Christmas Vacation: Sunday 16 December 2012 - Sunday 6 January 2013
- Easter Vacation: Sunday 17 March 2013 - Sunday 14 April 2013
- Autumn term: Thursday 27 September 2012 - Saturday 15 December 2012
- Spring term: Monday 7 January 2013 - Saturday 16 March 2013
- Summer term: Monday 15 April 2013 - Saturday 15 June 2013