Doctoral Research at Southampton
Southampton is a world-class research University with a reputation for cutting edge research and innovation. We support individual research within and across a wide range of disciplines to attack questions of global importance. Postgraduate researchers form an integral part of our research community and make important contributions by participating in joint research activity and by adding intellectual vitality.
As a postgraduate researcher at Southampton, you will be supported to play your part fully in this community, within a culture that facilitates personal and intellectual growth based on mutual respect, in which individual rights, responsibilities and diverse needs are promoted.
We aim to attract the most talented graduates, helping and supportiing them to become independent researchers who understand the impact of their research and who will form the next generation of research leaders.
Our aspirations for our postgraduate researchers are:
- That you have, or will acquire, the skills needed to undertake internationally- leading research.
- That you are able to communicate your knowledge to others
- That you understand the societal, political and economic context in which your research is conducted
- That you are able to tackle problems of global significance in an international context.
- That you develop the general skills to be successful in your future career.
- That you are able to work in interdisciplinary groups when appropriate.
To enable you to achieve these aspirations we seek to provide an inspiring research environment and internationally competitive facilities and training.
Strategic direction and oversight of doctoral programmes and researcher development is provided at a high level by the RDGC Advisory Group, with reporting lines to Academic Quality & Standards Committee and to the Research & Enterprise Advisory Group. The RDGC Advisory Group is chaired by Professor James Vickers, and its membership includes the Directors of Graduate Schools/PG Directors from each Faculty, the CDT Directors, and the appropriate SUSU Officers and Professional Services Leads.