Our campuses have a huge range of facilities and services and offer everything that you will need during your time with us. Beyond the campus, the city of Southampton has a lively atmosphere, with many pubs, restaurants and cafes.
Our international students’ experiences
Some of our international students from Mexico, Kenya, Korea, Brunei, India, Japan, China and Pakistan talking about their experience of life at the University.
Living and studying in Southampton
As well as our excellent academic track record, there are lots of reasons why Southampton is a great place to live and study:
- Our location: we are in the beautiful county of Hampshire on the south coast of England, with excellent road, rail and air links.
- Teaching and learning: we blend innovative approaches with established techniques, offering a variety of specialist teaching and learning methods.
- Libraries: five libraries located across the University’s campuses ensure that all students have access to a wealth of literature as well as extensive computing facilities and assistive technology.
- Sports facilities: the University's Sport and Recreation service offers a wide-ranging programme of sport for all levels, from beginners to elite athletes.
- The arts: Highfield Campus hosts three internationally celebrated arts venues - The Nuffield Theatre, Turner Sims music venue and the John Hansard Gallery.
- Support: a range of dedicated information, advice and guidance is available for international students.
Southampton itself is a multicultural city, with thriving communities from many parts of Europe, Africa and Asia. Many of these communities have their own shops, restaurants and meeting places. The University Students' Union has many clubs and societies run by, and for, students from particular countries, with shared faiths or other common interests.Other University of Southampton sitesWeb links
A Meet and Greet service is available to our international students on arrival in the UK
Humanities Meet and Greet
As an international student, you will be warmly welcomed to the University of Southampton. Our free ‘Meet and Greet’ service gives international students from outside the EU the chance to be met at London Heathrow airport and transported directly to the University at the start of the academic year.
“Southampton is very highly regarded and respected for modern languages and the staff are among the best.”