You have two options for your accommodation during your time at Southampton: University accommodation and private rented accommodation.
Accommodation Introduction Video
As an international student enrolling in 2013, you will have a guaranteed offer of accommodation in our Halls of Residence during your first year of study and one subsequent year if:
- You meet the terms of your offer of a place to study
- You normally live outside Southampton
- You are unaccompanied (i.e. you do not bring any dependants such as a partner and/or children with you)
- You have applied by the 1st August deadline in the same year that your studies begin - Please note that if you miss this deadline you will be put on waiting list and we will not be able to guarantee an offer of a room, so make sure that you apply on time!
If you are an undergraduate from the European Union your accommodation is guaranteed for the first year of your studies only, as long as you adhere to the other guarantee criteria above.
This guarantee does not apply to Postgraduate European Union students, visiting and Erasmus students, although the Accommodation Service will always do its best to help you. If we are unable to accommodate you in Halls, we can provide advice and guidance on renting accommodation in the Private Sector. For more details visit www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation.
How to apply
- Look at the Accommodation website to decide which type of University accommodation you would like to apply for;
- Make sure that you have your offer letter with you before completing the online application form. You can apply for your accommodation as soon as you receive a conditional offer, although your room may not be allocated until you receive an unconditional offer;
- Complete the online application form for accommodation. You will find instructions on the Accommodation website;
- Track the progress of your application form online. You should do this regularly, and also check your email account because the Accommodation Service will send you the details of your offer of accommodation by email. You will then need to accept the offer within a short deadline;
- If you are a new postgraduate student you will need to pay a deposit of £350.00, which will be deducted from your final instalment of accommodation fees. Visit the Accommodation website to find out how you can do this. New first year undergraduate students do not need to pay a deposit;
- The Accommodation Service can arrange female-only and male-only accommodation. If you are interested in any of these options you should specify this on your application form.
The Accommodation Service can help you to find private rented accommodation in Southampton and Winchester as well as lodgings and bed and breakfast accommodation.
We also produce a guide alongside the Students’ Union with essential advice on private renting. This is available from the Accommodation Service and is normally published in December. We can also provide a regularly updated list of housing vacancies, a list of letting agencies and a list of local hotels and guesthouses.
If you wish to find your own accommodation, we recommend that you visit the University to discuss your needs with the Accommodation Service and view properties in person before you start your course. You should arrive well in advance of the International and EU Student Welcome Programme so that you have enough time to find accommodation beforehand.
You should also read information on our website about Private Rented Housing before starting your search for Private Rented Accommodation. We strongly advise you not to enter into a tenancy agreement without reading this vital information.
Further details are available from the Accommodation Service team:
Tel: +44 (0) 23 8059 5959
We offer some accommodation for mature students accompanied by their families but cannot guarantee this. If family accommodation is unavailable from the University, the Accommodation Service will provide advice and guidance to assist you in finding a place in the private rented sector. In these cases we advise that you should arrive in advance and only bring the rest of your family to Southampton when relevant accommodation has been arranged.
All-unied.com is a company that can deliver a starter pack of all essentials needed when you move into a Hall of Residence. This would save you from carrying them with you or having to go shopping as soon as you arrive in Southampton. Visit their website or download their leaflet to find out more. Please note that All-unied.com is a private company not connected to the University of Southampton.