The Southampton pre-Masters is an academically rigorous programme designed to equip international students with the academic and English language skills they will need to get the most from a University of Southampton taught masters degree.
The pre-Masters is taught by University of Southampton academic staff and all classes are delivered on campus. Subject to satisfactory performance participants are guaranteed a place on a range of masters programmes at the University.
The Southampton pre-Masters offers the following six pathways:
• Mechanical Engineering
• Winchester School of Art
Who is the pre-Masters for?
The Southampton pre-Masters can be taken over one or two semesters * and will suit you if:
• You are an international student;
• You have qualifications or grades that do not meet University of Southampton direct entry criteria for masters level study;
• You wish to take a masters’ degree in a subject different to the one you majored in for your undergraduate degree;
• You feel you need to improve your academic English, study and research skills before pursuing masters level study.
* Please note that some pathways only offer one entry point
The Southampton pre-Masters has the following key aims:
• To enable you to develop skills to address and resolve academic problems critically and reflectively;
• To engage you in research-led academic study related to the masters programme you intend to join;
• To enable you to develop the academic English language skills essential for success at masters level;
• To help you develop the necessary cultural and study skills for effective learning through the medium of English;
• To familiarise you with the academic environment at Southampton and introduce you to life in the UK.
Progression to Masters
You will be guaranteed a place on one of the following masters programmes subject to successfully completing the pre-Masters. Visit our postgraduate study pages to find out more about these degree programmes.
Advanced Mechanical Engineering
MSc Advanced Tribology
MSc Computational Engineering Design
MSc Engineering Materials
All masters programmes within the Faculty of Humanities (including English Language Teaching, Film, Philosophy, English Literature, History and Archaeology)
LLM Commercial and Corporate Law
LLM Information Technology and Commerce
LLM International Business Law
LLM International Law
LLM Maritime Law
MSc Accounting and Finance
MSc Accounting and Management
MSc Corporate Risk and Security Management
MSc Human Resource Management
MSc Knowledge and Information Systems Management
MSc International Management
MSc Marketing Management
MA Eighteenth Century Studies (Chawton)
MA Medieval and Renaissance Culture
Winchester School of Art
MA Design: Design Management
MA Design: Advertising Design Management
MA Design: Fashion Management
MA Design: Fashion Marketing and Branding
MA Design: Luxury Brand Management
MA Design: Global Media Management