Choosing the right university is an important decision. As an international student, you are also faced with the challenge of adapting to a new culture away from home. Southampton offers exceptional quality and choice in a fantastic location, with ample support for international students.
Ten reasons to study at the University of Southampton:
- International recognition: We are ranked 73rd in the world (QS World University Rankings 2012/13) - one of only 19 UK universities to be ranked among the top 100 in the world.
- The University of Southampton is in position 151st in the International League Table published by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University China in 2011.
- One of the UK’s leading universities: we are ranked among the top research-intense UK universities - in 15th position on the Complete University Guide 2013 with 13 subjects in the top 10, in 22nd position on the Guardian University Guide in 2013, and in 18th position on the Times Good University Guide 2013.
- Research quality: in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), more than 60% of our research was considered word-leading or internationally excellent. The University of Southampton is ranked joint 9th among Russell Group universities in terms of the 2008 RAE.
- Student satisfaction: The University of Southampton has been ranked 7th in the UK for student satisfaction according to The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2012.
- Prime location: Southampton is just over one hour from central London, on the south coast of England. We are surrounded by areas of natural beauty including the New Forest and the Isle of Wight, and connected to the rest of the UK and Europe through superb road, rail, air and sea links.
- International diversity: we have over 22,000 students including more than 5,000 students from from more than 130 different countries. Our departments have many international links and are active members of international initiatives like the World Universities Network, the Centre for Contemporary China and the Thai-UK Collaborative Research Network.
- Guaranteed accommodation: All our international (non-EU) students have guaranteed accommodation during their first year studies in our Halls of Residence (conditions apply).
- Work prospects: The quality of our graduates is recognised by employers worldwide, who are often invited to our Open Careers Days on campus. Our Career Destinations Department offers free advice to all our students for up to three years after graduation. We are renowned for our close links with business and industry and have been ranked in the top 20 UK universities for graduate starting salaries (2010 Sunday Times University Guide rankings).
- Support to international students: our professional services offer free and confidential support for our international students.
International students' opinion
You can listen to some of our international students participating in our video and explaining why they decided to study at the University of Southampton.