Choosing the right university is an important decision. As an international student, you are also faced with the challenge of adapting to a new culture away from home. Southampton offers exceptional quality and choice in a fantastic location, with ample support for international students.
Ten reasons to study at the University of Southampton:
- International recognition: We are ranked 94th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2014/15) - putting us in the top 1% globally.
- One of the UK’s leading universities: We are ranked among the top research-intense UK universities - 16th in the Complete University Guide 2015 with 12 subjects in the top 10, 19th in the Guardian University Guide in 2015, 18th in the Times Good University Guide 2015.
- Research quality: In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), more than 60% of our research was considered word-leading or internationally excellent. The University of Southampton is ranked joint 9th among Russell Group universities in terms of the 2008 RAE.
- Student satisfaction: 86% of our students are satisfied with the quality of their course (National Students Survey 2014) with 100% satisfaction in acoustical engineering, audiology, language and international courses, and 90% and over satisfaction in 17 subject areas (National Student Survey 2013).
- Flexible learning and opportunities to study abroad or on exchange: Our Curriculum Innovation modules offer students more flexibility and choice in their studies beyond their selected discipline, preparing them for the complex challenges of the future. Students can also take advantage of our links with partner institutions to go on exchange or study abroad as part of their course.
- Prime location: Southampton is just over one hour from central London, on the south coast of England. We are surrounded by areas of natural beauty including the New Forest and the Isle of Wight, and connected to the rest of the UK and Europe through superb road, rail, air and sea links.
- International diversity: We have over 23,000 students including more than 6,500 students from from more than 135 different countries. Our departments have many international links and are active members of global partnerships like the World Universities Network, the Centre for Contemporary China and the Thai-UK Collaborative Research Network.
- Guaranteed accommodation: All our international (non-EU) students are offered guaranteed accommodation for two years in our Halls of Residence (conditions apply) - this is for their first year of study and one subsequent year.
- Employment prospects: The quality of our graduates is recognised by employers worldwide, who are often invited to our Careers Days on campus. Our Career Destinations Department offers free advice to all our students and graduates, and 94% of Southampton graduates enter into employment or further study within six months of graduating (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education).
- Support to international students: Our professional services offer free and confidential support for our international students.
International students' opinion
You can listen to some of our international students participating in our video and explaining why they decided to study at the University of Southampton.