How to Add a SCORM Learning Object to Your Blackboard Course
SCORM (Sharable Content Objective Reference Model) is a standard for learning objects (a unit of educational content delivered via the internet).
Blackboard supports SCORM version 1.2, SCORM2004 (up to 4th Edition), and Rustici Tin Can, as well as IMS and NLN content. Note that regarding Tin Can Blackboard it cannot run the Learning Record Store component.
1. Check that Edit Mode is turned ON. This can be switched by clicking ON or OFF.
Access a Content Area
2. Enter the content area into which you wish to place your SCORM learning object.
Choose Add SCORM Content
3. Hover your mouse over Build Content and choose Content Package (SCORM).
4. You will be presented with the Add Scorm Content screen.
Adding Scorm Content
5. Click on Browse My Computer and locate the object you wish to upload.
6. The Title will be automatically populated from information taken from the object you uploaded at the previous step. You can change this if you wish. You can also enter a Description if you wish.
7. Set Make SCORM Available to Yes. This is not the default option. If you wish for course users to interact with this object it is essential to set this option to Yes.
8. Set the Number of Attempts that you will allow.
9. Set a time range for the object to be available if necessary and appropriate.
10. Choose to track the number of views if you wish. This option will only track that the link to the object has been viewed, not the object itself. It is better to use Scorm scores to track that the object has been used.
11. Set how the object should be marked. The creator of the object should advise whether Score, Completion, or Satisfaction should be assessed as this will be dependent on how the object has been set up.
SCORM Score - Displays the total score
SCORM Completion - A tick symbol indicates if a user has completed the item.
SCORM Satisfaction - If you have selected a minimum score the student must achieve when creating the SCORM content select the check box to enforce a pass or fail element. For a pass mark a green tick will be displayed in the Grade Centre column and a score of 100.00 will be added to the Grade Attempt, a red cross and a mark of 0.00 will be displayed for failure.
12. Enter a due date if you wish.
13. If multiple Sharable Content Objects (SCOS) are available within the object you may set Grade SCOS to Yes and choose which should be added to the Blackboard Grade Centre. If in doubt leave this option set to No.
14. Leave the Grade Timing option set at the default, ie. When SCO is completed, with Grade of Last attempt, unless you have been advised otherwise by the creator of the object.
15. Click on Submit to finish.
16. To access your object students should click on its name.
Object has launched
17. When launched the object will open in a new window.