How to Add a Podcast Section to Your Blackboard Course Menu
You may add podcasts to any content area within your Blackboard course. At the same time it is possible to add a podcast area to your course menu, which will list all of the podcasts available on your course. You can also enable students to subscribe to the podcasts in your course.
1. Access your Blackboard course and check that Edit Mode is turned ON. This can be switched by clicking ON or OFF.
Manage Campus Pack Podcast
2. Using the Control Panel, click on the Course Tools section, and then on the Manage Campus Pack Podcast link.
Title and Description
3. Enter the title and a description for your series of podcasts.
4. If you wish you may categorise your podcast series. This information would be used by podcasts aggregators such as Apple I-Tunes. A list of the categories that Apple supports for I-Tunes is available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html#_Toc526931698
5. You may also add a picture if you wish by clicking on Browse
Enable RSS Subscription to Your Podcast?
6. This next option enables you to make an RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed available for your podcasts. RSS feeds allow listeners to subscribe to your podcasts using an aggregator program such as I-Tunes.
If they subscribe to the feed then any new podcasts you add to your Blackboard course will be automatically downloaded by the user's aggregator program.
Note that if you enable this option then anyone who knows the exact link to the RSS feed, which is displayed on this page and in the Podcast course menu area which we will add later on, will be able to subscribe to it. In other words they do not need to be a member of your course, nor a member of the University.
Therefore only choose this option having considered these issues.
7.Click on Submit.
Manage the Course Menu
8. Next we will add a link in your Blackboard course’s menu to take users to the Course Podcasts. To do this, click on the + button near the top left of the course menu (this will only appear if you still have Edit Mode turned ON). From the pop up menu, click on Create Tool Link.
Select Podcast Tool
9. From the drop down menu, select Campus Pack Podcast. If this does not appear in your list, please consult the next slide and then return to this step. You will also need to enter a name for the menu item, and make sure that you tick the box to make this Available to users. Once you have done this, click on Submit.
10. In the previous slide if you could not see Campus Pack Podcast in your drop down list, then you will need to undertake a simple additional step. Click on Customisation in the Control Panel, and then click on Tool Availability. Now click on Submit. You should now find that you can complete the previous step in the slideshow, so go back to it if needed
Course Menu Items
11. Having completed the previous steps, you should now see your Podcasts menu item in your course menu. Podcasts can be added to any area of your course, but this new menu item will provide a place where all podcasts are collected together centrally to make them easier to listen to.