Recognising the links between the University and the wider community in our area, members of the public are welcome to make use of the University Library for reference, without charge. Use of the Library is at the discretion of the Librarian (we do not require registration).
Who can use the Library?
Both individuals and organisations are welcome to join. Free membership is available to these groups:
- Members of the University of Southampton Society (Convocation or Alumni)
- Friends of the Parkes Library
- Members of the Hampshire Field Club
- Members of the Hampshire Garden Trust
- Members of the Hampshire Ornithological Society
- Members of the SCONUL Access scheme
- FE College lecturers from Hampshire & Isle of Wight colleges participating in Progress2Succeed
Proof of the above will be required when you apply.
This aims to cater for organisations needing access to the Library for more than one person from that organisation.
Registration to borrow is for the organisation.
We require one person from the organisation to take responsibility for the card, record and any loans registered to that record.
Services and charges
|Membership||Fee||Loan limit*||Book loans||ILLs**||Other formats~||Consultancy|
|Personal ^||£35 + VAT||10||10||No||No||No|
|OU Postgraduate (if not SCONUL Access)^||£100 + VAT||10||10||No||No||No|
|Corporate (gift) ^||£0.00||10||10||No||No||No|
|Corporate ^||£100 +VAT||15||15||No||No||No|
|Corporate (NOL)MIAS||£250 +VAT||15||15||No||No||
|£20 + VAT per day||0||No||No||No||
^ excluding NOL
* long loan & one week loan items
** Inter-Library loans
~ e.g. audio-visual
All libraries except National Oceanographic Library:
- Application forms for borrowing are available from each library except Avenue.
- Each application is considered on its merits.
- We will require proof of ID: one personal (e.g. driving licence) and one address (e.g. a utility bill dated within the last six months).
- Apply to: The National Oceanographic Library, Southampton Oceanography Centre, Empress Dock, European Way, Southampton, SO14 3ZH.
Where are the Libraries?
The University Library consists of:
- Avenue Library (Highfield Road)
- Hartley Library (University Road)
- Health Services Library (South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital)
- National Oceanographic Library (European Way)
- Winchester School of Art Library (Park Avenue, Winchester)
What can I borrow?
You can borrow long loan and one week loan items. Any item with a loan period shorter than this is only available for reference use.
Recalls/items in demand
Items in demand can be recalled for another user. If this happens, you will receive a notice informing you of this.
Please return the book by the amended due date on the notice. If you fail to do so an invoice will be produced with replacement costs.
Can I renew my loans?
Yes, items may be renewed if not required by another user. You can renew your own loans using WebCat.
It is also possible to renew your loans by telephone. Ring the Loans Desk (023 8059 3452) (or 023 8059 6116 for NOL) and be ready to quote your library card number.
Where do I return books?
Books can be returned to any of the University of Southampton Libraries except Avenue.
Is there an enquiry service?
Yes, all Libraries provide an Enquiry Service. Hours vary at each library and during term and vacation.
Due to licence restrictions, only members of the University have full access to electronic services other than the Library's computer catalogue (WebCat). However, we can offer limited provision to some e-resources to walk-in users. Please email email@example.com in the first instance.