Borrowing material from the University Libraries
If you do visit the university occassionally and want to borrow material you will gain most by pre-planning your visit.
Here are some suggestions:
- Try to check the catalogues online before you come. If you note the site and call number for each item, you will save time when looking for material on the shelves. The Loan Services web page will tell you the number of items you may borrow and for how long.
- Most items are long loan (due end of the summer term or end of the summer vacation). You may renew one week loan items as long as no one else has requested the item. There are one week loan items and Course Collection stock (short loan). You must abide by these loan periods even if you live at a distance.
- Check for details of the opening hours at each site. Opening hours vary between sites and change between vacation and term. Serviced hours (when the loans and enquiry services are open) are shorter than Opening hours when the Libraries are open for reference only.
- Check the catalogues for availability a little in advance and place a hold on items already on loan. They may be returned in time for your visit. A recalled item should be returned within 7 days providing you are the first person to recall it.
- Consider ringing your home site Library before your visit to ensure that there are no temporary or special circumstances which may pose problems for you.
- Ensure you bring your University ID card with you. This acts as your Library card. Some part-time courses offer registration for an ID Card as an option. If you think you will want to use the Library, we advise you to register as soon as possible. If you are being registered away from the University, please allow time for the ID Card Studio to process your application. The telephone number for the ID Studio is 023 80 594884.
- We cannot collect items for you from the shelves in advance of your visit. Exceptions are University of Southampton theses and some Official Publications material at Hartley. These are held in store and we can make them available for you if you give us prior notice (48 hours) by telephone or email. If you have not used the Library before, ask at the enquiry desk when you arrive for some maps and general orientation. This will save you time.
- If you do have difficulty getting here to use the Library yourself or finding the materials you need elsewhere, we do offer a postal loans service (details below):
Postal Loans Service:
The service is designed to provide students who live and work at a distance with access to the University of Southampton (UoS) Library via the post. You can request to borrow items held in the Library as postal loans. We have a postal loans FAQ which you should find useful and read before submitting a request, particularly as there may be costs to you in returning any items supplied.
How to make a request
1. Check the Library catalogue, WebCat, for details and availability of items.
2. Email your details and the details of the item you require to: email@example.com
or telephone the Loans Desk with all details. Tel: 023 8059 3452
We aim to despatch postal loans and photocopies, normally within two working days of receiving your request.