13 October 2014
What does it take for us to get to 100 years old? What are our chances of living beyond a century? How do our early years, lifestyle, work and where we live affect our lifespan? These are just some of the questions raised in a new exhibition being taken around the UK by population experts at the University of Southampton.
10 October 2014
High-tech British company Primerdesign Ltd, a spin-off company from the University of Southampton, has developed a fast and simple diagnostic test solution specific to the 2014 Ebola outbreak.
9 October 2014
Scientists at the University of Southampton have identified key characteristics that enhance a nanoparticle’s ability to penetrate skin, in a milestone study which could have major implications for the delivery of drugs.
7 October 2014
The results of a four-year international study of 2060 cardiac arrest cases across 15 hospitals published and available now on ScienceDirect. The study concludes:
• The themes relating to the experience of death appear far broader than what has been understood so far, or what has been described as so called near-death experiences.
• In some cases of cardiac arrest, memories of visual awareness compatible with so called out-of-body experiences may correspond with actual events.
• A higher proportion of people may have vivid death experiences, but do not recall them due to the effects of brain injury or sedative drugs on memory circuits.
• Widely used yet scientifically imprecise terms such as near-death and out-of-body experiences may not be sufficient to describe the actual experience of death. Future studies should focus on cardiac arrest, which is biologically synonymous with death, rather than ill-defined medical states sometimes referred to as ‘near-death’.
• The recalled experience surrounding death merits a genuine investigation without prejudice.
7 October 2014
A new collaboration announced today gives unprecedented access to brain tumour tissue for research.
30 September 2014
Scientists at the University of Southampton have discovered that a region on the front surface of the eye harbours special stem cells that could treat blinding eye conditions.
24 September 2014
Saints legend Francis Benali will kick off Southampton General Hospital’s annual open day on Saturday (27 September) before touring the site to meet staff, patients and visitors.
19 September 2014
Three researchers at the University of Southampton will benefit from close to £200,000 of extra funding from Alzheimer’s Research UK, the UK’s leading dementia research charity. The important boost will enable dementia researchers based at the University to continue with their pioneering studies. This funding comes ahead of World Alzheimer’s Day on Sunday 21 September, which aims to increase awareness of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
18 September 2014
Respiratory experts based in Southampton and Portsmouth will mark the launch of a new support group for patients with lung disease at an event on Tuesday (23 September).
3 September 2014
Dementia researchers along the South Coast, from Brighton to Bournemouth, will be unified in their goal to defeat dementia.