Autumn Season at Turner Sims
The 2012/13 Season at Turner Sims sees the beginnings of new projects, outstanding British artists and a dazzling array of classical, jazz, world and folk music.
The University of Southampton’s Turner Sims, a world-renowned concert hall based at the University’s Highfield Campus, looks forward to first time visits from performers such as flautist Sir James Galway, kora master Seckou Keita and pianist Mitsuko Uchida, performing her first solo recital at Turner Sims, while welcoming back Paul Lewis, John Williams and the Elias Quartet.
Season highlights at a glance:
- World Premieres by Sally Beamish, James MacMillan and Dai Fujikura.
- Turner Sims Associate Artists the Elias Quartet launch the venue's first complete cycle of Beethoven string quartets for 30 years.
- Flute legend Sir James Galway performs with the Orchestra of St John's as part of the Orchestral Series.
- Mitsuko Uchida explores works by Schumann as part of the Piano Series, which also includes recitals by Steven Osborne, Benjamin Grosvenor, Paul Lewis, John Lill and Stephen Hough.
- Guitars feature as classical guitarist John Williams performs with jazz/fusion guitarist John Etheridge while Juan Martin presents Musica Alhambra and David Russell is in recital.
- Cellist Matthew Barley launches Turner Sims' series to mark the Benjamin Britten centenary.
- The Academy of Ancient Music present Bach's complete Orchestral Suites, following their acclaimed Brandenburg Concertos project.
- British folk from Faustus, Eliza Carthy, Tim van Eyken and The Mellstock Band.
Tickets for Autumn 2012 go on general sale on Wednesday 4 July and can be bought online or via the Box Office on 023 8059 5151.
Priority booking for Turner Sims friends opens Wednesday 20 June.
For full details of the 2012/13 Autumn/Winter programme, please visit http://www.turnersims.co.uk/