Professor Stephen J Hawkins BSc, PhD, DSc, FSB
Professor of Natural Sciences
- Related links
Stephen J Hawkins works in the Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences, he is Professor of Natural Sciences within Ocean and Earth Science, National Oceanography Centre Southampton at the University of Southampton.
I like to be on shore counting things!
- BSc Marine Biology: First Class Honours, University of Liverpool (1973-1976).
- Department of Marine Biology, University of Liverpool, Port Erin, Isle of Man, Ph.D. ‘Field Studies on Manx Rocky Shore Communities’ (1976-1979).
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Personal Post-doc. Fellow, Marine Biological Association of UK, Plymouth (1979-1980).
- Lecturer, Dept. of Zoology, (subsequently Environmental Biology), University of Manchester (1980-1987).
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer (from 1990) in Marine Biology, University of Liverpool, Port Erin Marine Laboratory, Isle of Man (part of Dept. of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology from 1988) (1987-1995).
- Professor of Environmental Biology, Dept. Biology, University of Southampton and Director Centre for Environmental Sciences (1995-1999)
- Head of Division, Biodiversity and Ecology, (1996-1999) (following re-organisation to School of Biological Sciences)
- Director, Marine Biological Association (MBA) of the UK (90%).
- Professor of Environmental Biology (University of Southampton 10%) (1999-2006).
- Director, Marine Biological Association (MBA) of the UK
- Professor of Marine Biology and Associate Director, Marine Institute University of Plymouth (2006-2007).
- Professor of Natural Sciences and Head of College of Natural Sciences Bangor University (2007-2010). Acting Pro-Vice Chancellor Research & Enterprise (2010).
- D.Sc. “Experimental studies of marine biodiversity and ecosystems including long-term responses to climate change”, University of Liverpool (2008).
- Dean, Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences & Professor of Natural Sciences, University of Southampton (2010-2016).