As a postgraduate student, you will automatically become a member of Southampton University Students’ Union (SUSU), one of the largest in the UK. Postgraduate students also enjoy full access to the Staff Social Centre facilities.
Heart of the University social scene
SUSU is the hub of the University social scene and has an active postgraduate community. Located on the Highfield Campus, the main SUSU complex enjoys a wide range of facilities, including:
- The Union Shop, stocking stationery, gifts, food and clothing
- Café SUSU, open all day, serving great value hot and cold food
- The Union, a 1,700-capacity nightclub
- The Uniplex, a 330-seat cinema, run and operated by students
- Four bars, including the Stag’s Head, the Students’ Union bar and the Bridge, a great place for lunch or coffee by day and a cocktail bar by night.
This is just a small selection of what SUSU has to offer. There are stalls and activities on the Highfield Campus almost every day and a weekly market selling fresh, local produce.
You can also enjoy Students’ Union facilities at Winchester School of Art, where SUSU also provides a wide range of events and support services.
The Students’ Union is here to support you, and provides services such as:
- The Students’ Union The Advice Centre (http://www.susu.org/help-and-support/advice-centre/2012/ )
- Nightline, a student-run confidential listening and information service
- The ‘course rep’ system, to make sure you get the most out of your programme
- Junior Common Room (JCR) teams, the students elected to make your life in halls accommodation safe and sociable
- A dedicated postgraduate officer to support you as part of our postgraduate community.
The Students’ Union also runs a series of campaigns throughout the year to make sure you stay informed about everything you need to know to live a safe, healthy and productive life in Southampton.
Through the Students’ Union, you can take part in:
- Over 80 sports clubs at the Athletic Union, with competition at all levels ranging from intramural to national
- Over 160 societies, from the cultural and course-related to the international, sporting and political
- Raise and Give, our fundraising department, which donates thousands of pounds to charity every year
- Community Volunteering, providing opportunities to help out in the local community and meet like-minded people
- Media departments – Surge Radio, the Wessex Scene newspaper, The Edge magazine, Union Films and our television station SUSU.TV, all with the latest industry standard equipment and all run entirely by student DJs, journalists and directors
- Running the Students’ Union – you could take up a place on the Union Council and help make the decisions that shape SUSU or run for an executive officer position.
Staff Social Centre
As a postgraduate student you will have access to all the facilities of the Staff Social Centre, including a bar with a pool table, restaurants, cafés and a lounge.
Visit the SUSU website - www.susu.org.