Replacing Staff ID cards

If your staff/visitor ID Card needs to be replaced for any reason, you must complete a 'Staff Replacement ID Form'.  Once completed you should bring it to the Student Services Centre with the front page of your latest wage slip as proof that you are still on the University payroll (Student Services Centre staff do not have access to this data).  You should be able to print this out from MyView (please ensure you print this landscape as we need to see the date on the right side of the payslip).

The 'Staff Replacement ID Form' is available from the Student Services Centre or can be downloaded from the "Useful downloads" column on the right of this page.

There is a charge of £10 for the replacement of lost or damaged cards (e.g. snapped or hole punched in the card).  We will replace ID cards free of charge for the following reasons:

  • Stolen - a crime ref. number from the police would need to be provided
  • Change of Details e.g. name, title (this must be updated in Northgate before we can remake the ID Card - any changes to Northgate will take 24 hours to appear in the ID system)
  • Wear and Tear
  • The card is more than 3 years old

The definition of wear and tear is as follows:

  • Photo/ID number/Full Name are unreadable on card (and has not been intentionally removed and the ID card is in good condition other than this)
  • Smart ID Card Chip failure (the card is otherwise in good condition)
  • Small Break (less 1cm) on the left hand side of the smart ID card (caused by the chip - the card is otherwise in good condition).

Warning - As soon as you have a Smart ID Card replaced, your lost/stolen card will be hotlisted to prevent fraudulent use. This means that if anyone attempts to use your lost/stolen card on any university service (e.g. on a Uni-Link bus) the card will be recognised as 'hotlisted' and confiscated.  The user may be liable to prosecution.

On-Card Facilities

Door Access - Door access is controlled by Estates and Facilities.  Your new ID card will be automatically activated with any standard door access that you have (e.g. building and library access).  This takes approximately 24 hours so you will not be able to use your card for access until the following day (if your new card is made on Friday this will not be active until Monday).  If you have any non standard door access (e.g. lab access or additional buildings) or your card does not automatically update please ask your Head of School/Department or authorised departmental representative to contact with your request, stating your name, ID number, and the access you require.

Sportrec - Take your new ID card to the reception in the Jubilee Sports Centre and they will encode your Sportrec membership on to the new card.

Uni-Link  - You will need to take your new card to the Uni-Link office to have your pass loaded on to the new card.  If you purchased your bus pass from the Uni-Link office this can be done easily once your new card has been made.  If you purchased your bus pass on the bus then you will need to take your old card to the Uni-Link office to be read before you come to the Student Services Centre to get your new card. Once the new card has been made the Uni-Link Office will be able to put your pass back on the card for you.  Please note - If you have purchased your bus pass on the bus and then lose, or damage your card so that it is unreadable, the Uni-Link Office will not be able to put the pass on to your new card without proof of purchase and bus journeys taken.