The University of Southampton was one of the first universities in the country to be awarded the Buttle Quality Mark for its commitment to supporting those students who have been in local authority care or who have received support from The Foyer Federation.
Working in partnership with local councils, schools, colleges and other universities regionally through the, “We Care” Partnership. The Outreach, Recruitment and Admissions team are able to arrange specially tailored visits, mentoring and talks.
The University of Southampton offers a generous range of both personal and financial support to help you through your time at university which includes the following;
Support for care leavers:
- Students who are in their first year of study in the academic year 2012/13 who meet the required criteria, will be eligible for financial assistance to help with living costs.
- Continuing students in the academic year 2012/13 will receive a £1000 bursary in June to help cover the cost of accommodation over the summer period.
- Students who are leaving the care of their Local Authority are classed as independent by Student Finance England and could therefore be entitled to an annual fee waiver of £3000
- You may also be able to access additional bursaries that the university is offering.
- An extended halls contract, providing 365 day accommodation where required. (Please ensure that you identify on your accommodation application that you are a care leaver.)
- Designated Support from a member of Financial Information and Assistance who will provide you with information and advice on what financial support you may be entitled to as a care leaver.
- For budgeting advice we offer dedicated web pages which will keep you up to date on events that we are running throughout the year. If you would like guidance with creating your own budget please contact us on email@example.com.
- The Enabling Service provides a wide range of support to students who have disabilities, mental health issues or specific learning difficulties.
- Further help and advice is available from The Advice Centre.
Additional support available:
You can also access support available to all students which includes:
- Support, advice and assistance with disabilities and specific learning difficulties
- Study support
More information on the services that we provide can be found at
- The Care Leavers' Foundation offfers a small grants scheme for care leavers aged up to 29. More information can be found on their website http://www.thecareleaversfoundation.org/grants.php
- Prince's Trust http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/default.aspx
- The Foyer Federation provide an annual non-repayable bursary to Foyer students and is administered by the university. More information is available at http://www.foyer.net/level3.asp?level3id=166
Each application for support is considered on an individual basis but in general to be eligible for the Care Leaver Bursary you need to be
- classed as a UK student
- on your first undergraduate degree course,
- under the age of 25 at enrolement
- been in local authority care for 3 months or more since the age of 14.
If you have indicated on your UCAS application that you are a care leaver we will contact you once you have enrolled to advise of how to claim your bursary. If you have not included this information on your application please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for help on accessing the additional support available.
You will be required to provide evidence of your care leaver status in the form of either a letter from your Local Authority or a copy of your Pathway Plan.
If you have been placed in Foyer accommodation you will be required to supply evidence from the Foyer Federation to confirm this.
If you are not yet enrolled at university but are considering Southampton as one of your choices please contact Kirsten Wythe, who will be happy to arrange a visit to discuss the help and support that would be available.