- Primary position:
- Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Other positions:
- Admissions Officer, Deputy Extensions Officer
I graduated from The University of Hull with 1st Class Honours in Sociology & Social Anthropology. I started lecturing at Southampton in 2000. In 2006 I gained my Doctorate from Nottingham Trent with a study of Muslim and Latin American community and identity formation in the UK.
The University of Southampton's electronic library (e-prints)
My main research interests include migration, community, identity, and ethnicity in contemporary Europe (with active ongoing research into Muslim and Latina migration into England). Other research interests include the anthropology of British communities, the construction of social and cultural identity, and the works of Fredrik Barth, Pierre Bourdieu, and Anthony P. Cohen. Previous published research focuses upon issues in media representation and the social construction of knowledge. Personal interests involve the study of representation in ethnographic film.
Admissions Officer (ASS), Extensions
- Exploring Other Cultures
- Social Problems & Social Policy
- Culture, Communication & Cognition
- Cosmology, Ritual & Belief (seminars only)
- Social Anthropology
- Anthropology, Film, & Representations of the ‘other’
- Dissertation workshops and Supervision