How can you make small changes to your everyday routine to reduce your (and our) carbon footprint?
Think about how you travel to, from and between campuses:
- Cycling: we are constantly working to improve bike storage on our campuses, as well as providing a free servicing via our monthly Bike Doctor Sessions
- Travelling by bus: our award-winning Uni-link service links our main sites and continue to grow; over 4 million passengers travelled on Uni-link buses in 2010/2011
- Flexible working: the University supports this to reduce the need to travel, through working from home, flexible hours and video conferencing
Find out more about smarter ways to travel.
- Switch off your PC at the end of everyday
- Put your PC to sleep when you're away from your desk
- Switch off lights when you're out of the room
- In the winter, wear a jumper
- In the summer, open the window
- Report faults to Planon to avoid waste
- Students, join the Student Switch Off Campaign
Waste and Shopping
- Look out for the Green Label on Food in the Union Shop
- Put waste in the correct bin: food waste in the food caddie, all other waste in the recycling bin
- Getting rid of office furniture? Use the University's own corporate reuse system ‘WARP-it' to list unwanted items for others to re-use within the University. Put unwanted items up there, and before buying new ones see if there's anything you want listed.
- Look out for news and events of what's happening around the university
- Students - get involved in the Union Ethical & Environmental Committee
- Staff - Become a Sustainability Officer and help your colleagues to reduce their carbon impact
Follow us on Twitter to find out more about what's happening at the University and for tips on how to reduce your carbon footprint.