Southampton is a career-focused university. We promote and connect our distinctive graduates to industry using innovative activities available in your course and the wider university experience.
View our careers video:
You will develop graduate attributes and employability skills which will help you stand out from the crowd when you talk to employers.
We have a range of services and activities to help you graduate with more than an excellent degree from a world class, research intensive university.
- Professional practice workshops using guest speakers to provide insights into pricing, promotion and website design in developing an art-related business.
- Enhancing Teamwork Competencies (ETC) - a University project that aims to enable students to be more self-aware and confident in communicating their competencies to employers.
- Learning another language is valuable in the global workplace; language development classes are available to all.
- Careers fairs with relevant graduate recruiters and employer networking events to develop your attributes and make positive career connections.
- Enlisting recent graduates to give insights into life after graduation is important. Our alumni support our events and mentor our students.
- The Graduate Passport is a record of achievement which records the skills and experience you gain during activities like citizenship, volunteering, enterprise, global and commercial awareness.
- Our PGR Career pages publicise customised career development activities suitable for postgraduate research students including career forums, work experience or sector specific business skills.
- Placement opportunities improve your chance of standing out as well as supporting your ability to study through the skills you develop. Internships for students with disabilities are supported with pre-assessments of the workplace and an access bursary for participants.
- Our students work in the community as ambassadors to raise the aspirations of school or college pupils or to promote events at the University while developing their mentoring skills.
- As well as running traditional CV and career guidance sessions we provide professional preparation for job application and recruitment processes. Everything from job search tools to assessment centre events. One search tool specifically caters for local opportunities available in small or medium enterprises and third sector organisations.