Volunteering is a wonderful opportunity to give something back to the community and develop new skills. Volunteer work can provide tangible evidence of employability skills to enhance your CV and demonstrate your abilities to a future employer.
Volunteer students work with children in the chemistry laboratory
Volunteering can be done during term-time or in vacations and comes in many forms - from working with children at a local community centre, to sitting on the Board of Directors of a local charity. Some people choose to volunteer in a field directly related to their degree or future career, but others do something completely different. Whatever you choose to do you may have the opportunity to:
- do something that makes a difference to others
- find out more about yourself and what you are capable of, and challenge yourself to do something new or outside your comfort zone
- develop your employability skills, such as confidence, leadership, problem-solving and team-working skills, which will enhance your CV
- make friends with like-minded people from a variety of backgrounds and have fun!
How to volunteer
You may wish to find your own volunteering – if so, check out the health and safety advice.
Current students can join the University’s Volunteering group which has links to around 150 UK-based third sector organisations, charities, community groups and public bodies, and posts regular updates on the latest volunteering opportunities. Find out more on the Volunteering Sharepoint Group.
At our Students' Union, SUSU, there are also a range of clubs and societies that you can get involved with, as well as volunteer positions within the student union team.
For more information, visit our volunteering webpage or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Southampton Hub - student-led volunteering opportunities with social and environmental challenges in Southampton and around the world.
- do-it.org.uk - search for volunteering opportunities throughout the UK by post code.
- Southampton Voluntary Services and Winchester Area Community Action - local volunteering opportunities in Southampton and Winchester.
- Volunteering England - working to promote volunteering as a powerful force for change, both for those who volunteer and for the wider community.