The sky is not the limit, it is just the beginning. Aeronautics and astronautics encompasses a broad range of disciplines within the field of aerospace engineering.
Aeronautics and Astronautics courses cover applications to the specification, design and construction of aircraft, engines, satellites and other spacecraft.
Our wide range of facilities include world-class wind tunnels, state-of-the-art flight simulators, propulsion test cells, astronautics facilities and a student workshop.
Strong links with the aerospace and race car industries provide excellent opportunities for work placements and job prospects, and many of our students gain sponsorship.
Our graduates have followed careers in all areas of aerospace engineering, including fixed- and rotary wing aircraft, spacecraft and propulsion, and aerospace operations. The multidisciplinary nature of our programmes also prepares you for a career in many non-aerospace industries, particularly the commercial sector.
All of our master’s (MEng) programmes provide a direct route of entry to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status and are accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society and the Institute of Mechanical Engineering*.
* H425 is not accredited by the Institute of Mechanical Engineering
An MEng student talks about her placement with Williams F1
Typical entry requirements
A levels: A*AA, including mathematics and physics (general studies, critical thinking and use of maths not accepted), plus GCSE English language at grade C or above
IB: 38 points, 18 at higher level to include 6 in mathematics and 6 in physics; standard level 5 English
Intake: 80–90 students
Average applicants per place: 8
Selection process: UCAS application
Degree | UCAS code | Duration
BEng Aeronautics and Astronautics | H422 | 3 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics | H401 | 4 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics/Aerodynamics | H490 | 4 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics/Airvehicle Systems Design | H491 | 4 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics/Engineering Management | HN42 | 4 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics/Spacecraft Engineering | H493 | 4 years
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics/Structural Design | H492 | 4 years
BEng/MEng Engineering with Foundation Year | H008 | 4/5 years
- Ranked first in The Guardian University Guide 2012 for mechanically based engineering, which includes aerospace engineering
- BAE Systems’ preferred course in the UK; preferred academic supplier to Airbus UK; and academic partner of AgustaWestland
- 100 per cent of Aeronautics and Astronautics students satisfied with the quality of their course (National Student Survey, 2008)
- Active branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society, with flying opportunities through the Students’ Union or membership of the University Air Squadron
- Recognised by the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme, which provides sponsored places as part of officer training in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces
- Engineering Sciences at Southampton awarded an ExxonMobil Award in recognition of Excellence in Engineering Teaching
- Aerospace engineer (aeronautical/spacecraft)
- Civil or military pilot
- Race car designer
- Management, financial or IT consultant
- Software engineer
- Systems engineer
- Research assistant (university/government)
- Research consultant
- Postgraduate study
For information on scholarships, visit www.southampton.ac.uk/scholarships.