All aspects of modern life are influenced by Electrical and Electronic Engineering, be it energy, healthcare, communications to name just a few.
From generation, transfer and conversion of electrical power, the transfer of information using radio waves and fibre optics, to the design of the most complex computer and entertainment systems or the design of electric or hybrid vehicles, electrical and electronic engineers are at the centre.
This highly technical course will allow you to gain strong fundamental skills, both theoretical and practical, in electrical and electronic engineering. You will get the opportunity to design, simulate, built or test an electrical or electronic system throughout the third year as part of your individual project, and will collaborate with an academic working at the cutting-edge of research.
The programme has been specifically designed to allow you to develop the skills, knowledge, and application required for a wide range of professional engineering careers as high quality practitioners and leaders in business, engineering, research and development, and industry,
We have strong relationships with employers, and our graduates are particularly in demand for their understanding of organisations and their practical abilities in the workplace. We have our own Careers Hub website and run an annual careers fair.
Typical entry requirements
A levels: AAA, including Mathematics and Physics (General Studies is not accepted as one of the three A levels).
Degree | UCAS code | Duration
Students undertake three (BEng) or four (MEng) years of study. Each year there are compulsory modules. However, the degree has been designed to maximise student choice by allowing you to tailor the degree structure to suit your own interests. In the first two years you will cover the fundamental theory, practice and skills essential to a chartered engineer. Project work and specialist options in the subsequent years of the degree will take you to the leading edge of technology sought by industry and choose topics that suit your personal interests and career aspirations.
- Southampton is recognised as world-leading for Electronics and Computer Science and has achieved fantastic rankings in each of the most recent league tables:
- 1st in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 3rd for Computer Science and IT (Guardian University Guide 2013)
- 2nd in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 5th in Computer Science (Complete University Guide 2013)
- 2nd in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 8th in Computer Science (Times Good University Guide 2013)
- Southampton was ranked first/second in the UK for electrical and electromechanical engineering (The Times and The Guardian 2011)
- We have an outstanding experimental laboratory facilities, especially in our world-leading high-voltage laboratory
- We have pioneered many of the most important advances in electronics and microelectronics over the past 30 years