The International Foundation Year provides a route to selected undergraduate degree programmes in law, management, economics, social sciences, humanities, the arts, and psychology.
The International Foundation Year (IFY) is for international students with high academic potential who wish to take an undergraduate degree programme at a British university but who do not qualify for direct entry. They must have completed 11 or 12 years of full-time education in their home country.
Successful completion of the International Foundation Year allows students to progress to a range of undergraduate degree programmes including:
Accounting and Finance, Anthropology, Archaeology, Contemporary European Studies, Criminology, Economics*, English, Entrepreneurship, Fashion and Textile Design, Fashion Marketing, Film, Fine Art, French, Geography, German, Graphic Arts, History, Information Technology in Organisations, International Relations, Languages and Contemporary European Studies, Languages, Literature and Linguistics, Law, Linguistics, Management Sciences, Music, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Social Sciences, Sociology, Spanish
* Requires an advanced mathematics qualification
The IFY offers an intensive language and study skills programme to prepare students for their undergraduate studies. By the end of the year students will have gained:
- an understanding of British university life
- the level of English needed to study at undergraduate level
- a range of study skills to ensure they are effective students.
Typical entry requirements
Applicants for this programme should normally:
- be an international student who is a recent high school graduate (or be due to graduate at the end of the current academic year)
- have (or expect to receive) an excellent final grade or grade point average
- have an English language proficiency of B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR). This is equivalent to IELTS 5.5 with 5.5 in each component or iBTOEL 87 overall with at least 21 in listening, 22 in reading, 23 in speaking and 21 in writing.
Selection process: UCAS application or direct application to the University. Application forms are available at www.southampton.ac.uk/foundationyear/lmass/applying.shtml
Include on your application the undergraduate degree course that you hope to progress to after completing the International Foundation Year programme
Degree | UCAS code | Duration
Typical course content
−−The Global Society
−−Critical Thinking and Research Skills
Plus an appropriate option module for, eg, management students:
−−Survey Methods for Business and Social Sciences
−−Introduction to Organisations and Management
- Allows international students to progress to an undergraduate programme at the University of Southampton, if they have the required grades at the end of the IFY
- Gives international students the English language and study skills they need to be a successful undergraduate
- Ensures that international students have a broad knowledge of a range of contemporary topics to build on during their academic careers.
The IFY Director’s Scholarship is an award for the best IFY students progressing to an undergraduate degree at the University of Southampton. It rewards outstanding IFY students with a discount of £2,000 for each year of their undergraduate programme (worth a maximum £6,000) and a prestigious award to add to their CV.
For information on scholarships, visit www.southampton.ac.uk/scholarships.