Outstanding facilities, exceptional teaching and excellent social and sporting amenities - it's easy to see why the University of Southampton is rated so highly by its students. We're committed to suiting the needs of our students by offering a variety of types of degree.
You could graduate with one of a variety of classifications.
You'll be taught by staff working at the forefront of their fields, ensuring that you get the kind of education that will give you a competitive edge in the employment market and put you among the most sought-after graduates.
We offer flexible courses that vary from full time and part time opportunities to study foundation years, foundation degrees and distance learning programmes.
Most of our undergraduate degree programmes fall under one of the classifications listed below. When you graduate in your chosen course, you will have either a:
- BA (Hons) – Bachelor of Arts, (Honours)
- BSc (Hons) – Bachelor of Science, (Honours)
- BEng – Bachelor of Engineering
- BM – Bachelor of Medicine
There are also other degree classifications in which you will graduate with a Masters classification, although you will start at undergraduate level. These include:
- MBiolsci – Masters in Biological Sciences
- MChem – Masters in Chemistry
- MEng – Masters in Engineering
- MEcon – Master of Economics
- MEnvSci - Master of Environmental Science
- MGeol – Master of Geology
- MGeophys – Masters in Geophysics
- MMath – Masters in Mathematics
- BMid (Hons) – Masters in Midwifery
- MOcean – Masters in Oceanography
- MPhys – Masters in Physics
Single honours degree
A single honours degree focuses on one main subject, for example, BA History, BA French Studies, BSc Geography. Students will study modules and options which are relevant to the main subject area.
Combined honours degree
Combined honours degrees are designed for those who want the flexibility and variety of knowledge and skills offered by studying a combination of subjects instead of having to choose one single subject, for example, BA Music and Management, BA Economics and Philosophy, BA English and History.