At Southampton we offer more than just a traditional library. With online access to our virtual learning environments 24 hours a day, you can fit your learning around your life and make the most of the academic, social and sporting opportunities available on campus.
Virtual learning environments
Our VLEs allow you to work easily from any location. All you have to do is log-in to the university network on any device and our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure allows you to pick up exactly where you left off. You’ll also benefit from:
- 24 hour instant access to subject materials, lecture slides and resources on Blackboard. You can also engage in forum discussions other people on your course, and interact with lecturers.
- Free access to Office 365 which means your documents are safely stored in the cloud, and that you can edit the latest version no matter where you open it from. It comes with 25Gb of online storage, and allows you to download Microsoft Office Pro Plus to 5 different devices.
- Online coursework submission through Turnitin. Making it even easier to submit your essays as soon as they are done.
- Free access to online courses through Lynda.com. Boost your skills, productivity and employability by learning how to edit video, write html, design using PhotoShop or essentials like using Excel to its full advantage.
- Sharing documents with your study group using SharePoint. Perfect for working on group assignments easily and efficiently.
Our libraries hold between them around three million books, journals and reports, plus around 50,000 e-books. Most of our journal subscriptions are in electronic format and you will have access to this vast resource through our website. Training sessions run by our library staff will help you make the best use of the library resources during your studies.
Our main Hartley Library has high-speed internet access, wireless networking, network points for laptops, a café and a lounge. The library has a variety of study areas, including a language study area and study rooms equipped with computers.
Our National Oceanographic Library is the UK’s most extensive collection of oceanographic literature and one of the largest marine science libraries
in Europe. We also have specialist art and design and health services libraries.
As soon as you’ve enrolled you’ll be able to access all our computer services including:
- Over 1,700 computer workstations with high-speed internet access, and an extensive bank of course-specific specialist software. All our workstation rooms also come with printer, scanner and CD/DVD writer access. You can use our workstation finder to see where your nearest free PC workstation is at any time (we have workstations both on our campuses and halls of residences).
- Free WiFi across campus, and at other universities through Eduroam. During the holidays you can easily access Eduroam WiFi at a university near your home.
- Fixed and wireless high-speed internet in halls and across campus. Every one of our rooms comes with high-speed internet.
- Access to BoBnational, a shared online off-air tv and radio recording service for higher education institutions. You can choose to record any broadcast programme, which is then kept indefinitely.
- My Southampton App gives you on-the-go access to vital university information including services, maps, timetables, contacts, library loans, and PC workstation availability