We aim to attract students of the highest calibre who will benefit from, and contribute to, the top-quality education on offer. We are keen to recognise and reward high levels of academic excellence.
You don't need to apply separately for a scholarship.
You are eligible to be considered for a scholarship whether or not you are already receiving a University of Southampton bursary.
We offer a variety of scholarships to the most able students:
- Art - Fine Art, Graphic Arts, Fashion and Textile Design, Fashion Marketing
- Biological Sciences - Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacology, Zoology
- Electronics and Computer Science
- Health Sciences
- Humanities - Archaeology, Languages and Contemporary European studies, English, Film, French, German, History, Linguistics and Language Studies, Music, Philosophy, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American studies
- Management - Accounting and Finance, Entrepreneurship, Management Sciences and Management
- Mathematical Sciences
- Ocean and Earth Science - Geology, Geophysical Sciences, Oceanography and Marine Biology
- Physics and Astronomy
Art - Graphic Arts, Fine Art and Textiles, Fashion & Fibre (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa)
Graphic Arts - subsidised equipment
Students entering Part 2 of Graphic Arts are offered either a subsidised MacBook, digital SLR camera or digital video camera. We also offer progression scholarships to enable students who demonstrate high performance in their Bachelor's degree to progress to Master's level study.
Biological Sciences - Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacology, Zoology (www.southampton.ac.uk/biosci)
Biological Sciences offers 10 entry scholarships of £1000 to new students (level 1) based on pre University qualifications. A further 10 performance scholarships of £1000 will be awarded to students with outstanding performance in their first and/or second year. Bursaries are available for international students, with £1000 offered for each A-level at grade A (up to a maximum of £3000). For students taking the International Baccalaureate the qualifying grade is HL6 (maximum bursary £3000).
Chemistry, with the help of industrial sponsors, provide a study pack for all students registered on a chemistry degree. This includes the core chemistry textbooks, a molecular modelling kit, and laboratory coat and safety glasses. In addition, there is the Southampton Chemistry Scholars Scheme. A first year Southampton Chemistry Scholar must obtain specified A level eligibility criteria (3 grade As in chemistry and at least one from biology, maths or physics). The top ten academic performances in the first year, from the group identified as eligible on the basis of their A level grades, will each be awarded £1000. Similarly there are ten second year Southampton Chemistry Scholar awards, also of £1000 each, made to the top 10 academic performers in their second year of chemistry studies.
Electronics and Computer Science (www.southampton.ac.uk/ecs)
ECS awards scholarships and prizes to students who receive A* grades at A level or are in top 10% of their cohort. The amount varies from £500 to £1500. Details and conditions are provided on the ECS scholarships page.
Geography offers a number of scholarships of £1000 each. These will include:
1. Entry awards, given to those in the first year, based on pre-university attainment and high-level performance in semester one.
2. Level 2 awards, given to those entering their second year, based on level 1 results.
3. Level 3 awards, given to those entering their third year, based on second-year results.
4. Progress awards, given to those entering their third year, rewarding improving results likely to lead to high achievement.
Health Sciences - Health and Social Care, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Podiatry (www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences)
All courses in Health Professions and Rehabilitation Science are fully funded by NHS bursaries. For more information telephone the NHS Student Grants Unit on +44 (0)1253 856123.
Humanities - Archaeology, Languages and Contemporary European studies, English, Film, French, German, History, Linguistics and Language Studies, Music, Philosophy, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American studies (www.southampton.ac.uk/humanities)
Music offers competitive scholarships for singers and instrumentalists (including accompanimental & organ scholarships) for periods of one to three years. Candidates for undergraduate or postgraduate courses may apply. Find out more about our music scholarships.
Law is employing considerable funds to enhance the learning experience of all the undergraduate law students and is offering a number of prizes/scholarships up to a value of £1000 to students demonstrating outstanding achievement at the end of each year while on the course.
Management - Accounting and Finance, Entrepreneurship, Management Sciences and Management (www.southampton.ac.uk/management) Management offers scholarships and prizes on its undergraduate programmes. A number of entry scholarships are offered to the highest achieving UK/EU applicants, while further prizes are awarded to recognise student excellence in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of study. For more information see the Management scholarships page.
Mathematical Sciences (www.southampton.ac.uk/maths)
Mathematics offers two types of scholarships, as follows:
1. Scholarships paying all tuition fees for the normal duration of the degree programme for any candidate entering with five A grades in distinct subjects at A level.
2. A scholarship of £1000 payable to each student upon entry into the final year of the MMath programme.
Medicine offers a number of scholarships, rewarding students who achieve Distinctions in the assessments during undergraduate BM degree programmes. About £25,000 per annum will be available. Individual students may be eligible for up to £1000 of scholarship funding by achieving Distinctions in the BM Year 1 & 2 assessments and/or in the BM Intermediate examination.
Ocean and Earth Science - Geology, Geophysical Sciences, Oceanography and Marine Biology (www.southampton.ac.uk/oes)
Ocean and Earth Science offers a number of scholarships. These scholarships will include:
1. Up to ten, entry awards of £500, given to those in the first year, based on pre-university achievement.
2. Ten Level 2 awards of £500, given to those entering their second year, based on level 1 results.
3. Ten Level 3 awards of £500, given to those entering their third year based on second-year results.
4. Ten Level 4 awards of £1000, given to those entering their fourth year based on third-year results.
Physics and Astronomy (www.southampton.ac.uk/physics)
Physics and Astronomy awards a maximum of five scholarships annually to outstanding UK/EU students, based on a written examination taken in November of the year preceding entry.
These scholarships are worth £5,000 to the successful applicant for each year of their study (up to 4 years). Successful students will also receive automatic admission.
Invitations to sit the examination are sent to students who apply to us through UCAS before 31 October.
Scholarships are also available to students from outside the EU. These scholarships provide overseas students with £1000 per year for every grade A achieved in A level examinations up to a maximum of £3000 per year. Students holding qualifications other than A levels may be eligible as well. Students applying for a place on Physics and Astronomy courses via UCAS will be automatically considered for a scholarship.
For further information about Physics and Astronomy scholarships please contact the Admissions Tutor at: email@example.com.
There are a number of scholarships available in psychology for students who have performed well in their examinations during the duration of the degree programme.