Ms Linda Newington BA (Hons), MA
- Related links
Ms Linda Newington is Head Librarian within Winchester School of Art at the University of Southampton.
Linda Newington is Head of Library and Archive Collections for Art and Design at Winchester School of Art, a specialist art and design library, of the University of Southampton Library.
She has responsibility for a number of Special Collections including the Knitting Reference Library, the Artists Books Collection, and the School of Art Archive.
Her unique and distinctive approach has been to work with these collections for a range of activities including events, exhibitions, publications, digitisation and student projects.
In 2007 she completed an MA in the History of Textiles and Dress with the Textile Conservation Centre. Her dissertation focused on the image and status of knitting in relation to the Knitting Collections held by the University Library.
She first studied for a BA Fine Art, Painting graduating with a first class honours degree from Winchester School of Art in the 1970s. Having moved to London she obtained a post as a Library Assistant at the British Museum (Natural History) in the Botany Library curating the collection of botanical drawings, paintings and prints. It was during this time she trained as a librarian.
She is the Director of In the loop, a series of four international, interdisciplinary conferences with a focus on the many aspects of knitting - see the "Research" tab for more details or visit www.soton.ac.uk/intheloop & @intheloop3.
Exhibitions and events, a selection
- Knitting 1914-2014, to be held in the Special Collections Gallery, University of Southampton February - April, 2014
- Books by Artists, City Space at the Winchester Discovery Centre, 2013
- Print Matters, Special Collections Gallery, University of Southampton, 2011
- The Knitting Room @ Cornershop, Winchester, 2009
- Highlights from the Montse Stanley Collection, Special Collections Gallery, University of Southampton, 2008
- Artists Books: talks by artists, one day event at Winchester School of Art, 2006