Re: Should Publishers Offer Free-Access Services?

From: Vivienne Monty <vmonty_at_YORKU.CA>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:00:21 -0400

I should have mentioned that the National Library of Canada (don't know
about LC) are trying to capture and archive some journals. Problem is, so
far only free journals are available... copyrights etc.

We need to have other sites too doing this in case one archive copy is
destroyed.

Many journal eidtors also have not registered in the same way as
publishers register with their national libraries making identification
and cataloguing difficult. Online journals need an ISSN as much as print.

Haven't checked but is American Scientist, amsci forums etc registered???

Cheers,

Vivienne

Vivienne Monty - - Email: VMONTY_at_Yorku.ca
Senior Librarian (0) (0) Voice: (416)736-2100
York University Libraries Ext:1-88268
Leslie Frost Library U
2275 Bayview Ave.
Toronto, Canada \_____/