Re: Savings from Converting to On-Line-Only: 30%- or 70%+ ?

From: Guedon Jean-Claude <guedon_at_ERE.UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:49:34 -0400

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Jesse Martin <j.martin_at_bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:13:43 -0400
> From: Jesse Martin <j.martin_at_bangor.ac.uk> <harnad_at_COGSCI.SOTON.AC.UK>
> To: SEPTEMBER-FORUM_at_AMSCI-FORUM.AMSCI.ORG
> Subject: Re: Savings from Converting to On-Line-Only: 30%- or 70%+ ?
>
> Jonathan Baron wrote about:
>
> I would be curious to hear what the major research libraries have to
> say since they are the ones who will appear to receive the greatest
> benefit (financially) from conversion. The only dialog I have been
> able to identify is from publishers defending their stake
> (understandable), scholars (who make little if anything from the whole
> process), and what I think are representatives from societies who
> appear to be caught somewhere in the middle.

Libraries are getting very involved, and not only through individuals.
Witness the SPARC project supported by ARL and that originated from
Wisconsin with Ken Frazier. The Coalition for networked Information is
also involved, it seems to me and Ann Okerson, who used to work with CNI
before moving on to Yale, has, of course, always been on the frontlines.

Best,

jc

PS Perhaps Ken Frazier should be invited to join this discussion.